UI auto scale popup and crashing game, more frequent after 8.2 and Azshara. RTX 2070

#1 - July 16, 2019, 2:23 a.m.
Blizzard Post

I’m experiencing a new issue with WOW crashing or showing a popup from an addon (elvui) saying that my UI scale has been changed. This only occurs when I zone in the Queen Azshara boss encounter. I’ve tried reinstalling wow and playing without addons. I disable/uninstalled my logitech software in case it was automatically changing the scaling. Any thoughts why my UI would change in this encounter?

My system:
Windows 10, i7-9700K 3.6Ghz 16 gig ram, RTX 2070 (Driver v 430.64). I play with resolution 3440x1440

A video of the artifacts I’m starting to see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RroC9u5T5bk&t=2s

A sample of the UI popup (just freezes if elvui is disabled). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJX9EwMZOTg

Update 7/23: I’ve tried uinstalling/reinstalling via the DDU tool, resetting windows, reinstalling wow without addons. next step is RMA.

Forum Avatar
Customer Support
#10 - July 16, 2019, 7:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post

Hey, Doodlemd!

I took a look at the two crashes and it showed something very odd in the crash. I want to see what it shows in your DXDIAG. For some reason the crash log is showing that you do not have a video card active at all (Microsoft Basic Render Driver) when the crash happens, but you clearly have a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070.

Please collect a DXDIAG and post it here using the Preformatted Text button in the posting options. Just make sure the full DXDIAG contents are between the Preformatted Text tags.

Please make sure the errors at the bottom are included. Thanks!

Forum Avatar
Customer Support
#14 - July 19, 2019, 10:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post

Sorry for the wait, Doodledots. I was on my weekend.

I do not see any recent crashes for you, so I am assuming the crashing issue is resolved. The only concerns are what Zungar brought up and if you have tried a full driver reinstall using Display Driver Uninstaller, and Citrix. I do not see Citrix being the direct cause of any of the crashes, but has been known to cause crashing issues in the past for many of our games.

It may be possible the TDR’s shown in the Windows Error reports are related to the WoW crashes, as they do coincide.

Please let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

Forum Avatar
Customer Support
#23 - July 26, 2019, 10:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post

While we’re at that, if you’re overclocking any of your hardware at all, I’d disable that overclocking and see if it stabilizes. If it does, tweak the overclocks. They’re probably just slightly unstable if that works.

If that doesn’t work it’s likely overheating. Grab hwmonitor and play a game until it crashes. Once it does, check the “max” column of your test for CPU/GPU overheating. If those are getting too hot, clean the PC and take it to a PC tech if that doesn’t fix the overheating - that’d probably mean some of the heat hardware needs maintenance or replacement.

If you don’t see anything, let’s snag some screenshots:

1. Maximize the HWMonitor window and expand all the nodes on the left
  2. Scroll all the way up
  3. Take a screenshot with the Print Screen (prtscn) key
  4. Open up the program Paint and press ctrl+v to paste in the test
  5. Crop the screen if you want to only show the test, then save it as Test1.JPG
  6. Scroll all the way down, then repeat steps 3-5.
  7. Upload them somewhere like imgur and link us to the results. We’ll use those to look for more options.

If you have link errors, copy the code below, then copy/paste your link between two ` marks, it’ll break the link and let you post it. You can just copy paste everything in the box below and replace “Link goes here” with your link.

`
Link goes here
`