Bring Player, Not Class? How can we?

#0 - Jan. 5, 2009, 6:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
My guild is currently progressing through 25-man Naxx ( I Know we're a little slow) and something just keeping ringing in my head evertime we get to the Military Quarter:

In order to sucessfully kill Instructor Razuvious, we need 2 priests, or in an extreme cast, 3 hunters and a priest?

I guess my first question: Is this true? Do we really need to pug 2 priests every time we want to do the military quarter? What happened to bring the player. Our healers and dps are fine enough to get through most of naxx, but we fall face first here.

2nd question: Is there a way to do this boss with NO priests and 1-2 hunters??? (Our priests are lazy and we can get 1 at most to come usually).

Thanks!
#116 - Jan. 6, 2009, 6:43 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
THIS IS REDICULOUS!!! WHY CAN'T 10 ROGUES, 7 HUNTERS AND 8 MAGES DO HEROIC NAXX?

To make this thread complete, someone needs to insert "My guild does it with 10 rogues, 7 hunters and 8 mages. Clearly you need to L2P."

Seriously though, I recently addressed this in a healer thread. We knew heroic Razuvious was pushing the envelope asking for 2 priests, but we also wanted to explore a little of how much we could push the envelope. One of the nice things about Naxx is you can make progress on other wings while you wait for priests to log on or whatever.

I'd say in general we might make the assumption in a 25-player raid that you have every class available, but not every spec available. We might assume you have a paladin, but not a Prot paladin. We might require you to spellsteal but not deep freeze. In a 10-player raid you should be able to roll with 1-2 tanks and 2-3 healers of any kind. At most you might have unconventional solutions to some fights that benefit more from not having too many melee (KT) or instant hots (Malygos).

We haven't nerfed Malygos' Vortex yet because frankly people have beaten him with every combination of healers possible (including 3 Holy paladins). We are prepared to nerf Vortex however if a lot of groups suddenly can't handle the encounter any longer. Once you get a certain amount of health, which many guilds are starting to acquire, Vortex becomes a lot less deadly. I won't offer too many more tips because I think it rubbed some players the wrong way when I gave suggestions for Loken, but rest assured, it can totally be done.
#126 - Jan. 6, 2009, 8:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I had to do that for Sunwell and it wasn't fun.

Yeah, totally hear you. A lot of the changes we made in LK were as a result of that.

I don't think heroic Raz is anything close to that scale, and in any event, I would not anticipate many encounters like that. We hate to rule them out completely, just because we design a lot of boss fights and frankly the diversity is nice. One of the things that is cool about the encounter is that priests get to tank for one fight -- something they never get to do (the MT can just do the control on the 10-player version) and Mind Control, which often doesn't work in instances, gets to shine.