An open letter to Mike Morhaime

#1 - Jan. 4, 2018, 7:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Dear Mike Morhaime,

I'd like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for being a literal life saver.

Here is why...

...But first a little background and context;

For the last 4-5 years I have been suffering from severe depression and was recently hospitalised as a result. During my time in hospital, I had a near death experience which has since caused me to consider what exactly has kept me going for as long as I have.

Previous to this, I was a high functioning individual, combining full time work as a practice manager and dispenser (with a high street Opticians) with around 40 hours per week of study, 3 raid nights per week (3-4 hours each) plus varied in game daily activities and 4 hours a week of band rehearsals (Brass Band).

Since suffering a breakdown in 2013, most of the above has stopped.

Now, I have been playing the games your company has produced for between 20 to 25 years. During this time, but mostly in the last 10 years, because of the love of gaming by yourself and the rest of the Blizzard family, back then and now helping to shape the games you develop and the way you have made your games social activities through the Battle.net system, I have made some good friends through your games.
These friendships which started as virtual and in some cases evolved into real or as some may say "IRL" have had a huge impact on me during my struggle.

So,
To the point....

....One specific friendship which started out as a WoW friendship has been instrumental in me still being alive today, and by extension, You and the Blizzard family are also responsible for me still being alive today.

I have a lot to be thankful of, a lot of which can never be said to the people it needs to be said to, but at least in this letter, I can thank some of the people I need to.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Thankful regards,

Matt.

I do feel the need to ask, since this is on the general WoW forum, that readers please respect what I am trying to say here and not to post any negative comments (which I realize may well backfire).
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#9 - Jan. 5, 2018, 12:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks for sharing your story. It's always humbling to hear of the positive ways in which something as simple as playing an online game can have a profound effect on life.

We wish you (all) the best for 2018 and beyond!