WOTLK: Warriors are now hybrids.

#0 - Jan. 13, 2009, 7:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Not really thrilled about how warriors have lost their true role in world of warcraft. In vanilla wow, it was not uncommon at all to see a MS/Prot with defiance leading clears through 40 man content. Since the day BC hit, we've drifted further and further into having 3 distinct roles to choose from, and only 1 solution for each one of those roles.

Arms is pvp
Fury is pve dps
Prot is tank

I dont like this, not at all, in the least. Blizzard claims to have put the tanks on equal level, but they've balanced the warrior class against the other "tanks" based on being 51 points deep into the Protection tree. The bread and butter of our existance has been measured against a hybrid, as a hybrid. If we want to tank, we must be prot, or we fall direly short of any compettion to alternative tanking (prot pally, feral, DK)

Deathknights have assumed the role and preference that warriors were created with. In each of their 3 talent tress they have tanking and dps talents, so that a deathknight may choose his prefered method of delivery. Each of his trees are seperately balanced against each other for the express purpose of tanking, as well as other classes and how they perform. They are not hybrids. They are new-age warriors, and warriors are now hybrids.

I dont expect this to go anywhere, in fact, I dont expect Ill even get a full pages of responses, but at least I can rest knowing that I spoke my peace on the situation.
#26 - Jan. 13, 2009, 8:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
While the trees might have their specific roles to some players, I think the desire to min/max is much stronger than it was in vanilla which may have something to do with it.

As an example, can a Warrior pvp in prot spec? Yes, but it isn't ideal so most players will rather respec to ensure they are competing on the highest level possible.