The Potential of Curses

#0 - Jan. 16, 2009, 3:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Curse of Agony is the only curse I really use anymore and I'm sure this is the same for most warlocks. Curse of Exhaustion, Weakness, Recklessness, Doom, and Tongues dont really carry any weight anymore, which is a shame because the idea of curses, I believe, has great potential.

Some of the curses just dont impact a target enough for example, Recklessness; - 1260 armor. Against a plate wearing class who can have upwards of 20K they wouldn't even notice the slight tarnish against them. Curse suggests a terrible affliction, something to be wary of, Recklessness is anything but.

Again, following on with the PvP situation, Curse of Exhaustion. A nice snare to have in your arsenal which all Warlocks would love but one which only some can have. Why on earth is this talented?! The 30% reduction in movement speed is useful for keeping already distant players at bay for a while but it really cant be used to gain any ground on them.

Curse of Exhaustion needs a serious overhaul. I think a whole new mechanic could be introduced here. Something reminisscent of Chains of Ice but altered by distance rather than time. Within 10 yards of the afflicted target the reduction is say 30%, now as the warlocks gain distance say in 5 yard increments the % reduction would increase by 5% to a distance of 40+ yards where the curse would be removed, or after 12 sec. So the maximum effect at 40 yards would be 60%.This would force players to find a way to close the gap, be it Shaman Ghostwolf'ing, Rogue Sprint, Warrior charge etc.

In addition, I find it strange only our Curse of Exhaustion effects the legs... why do our targets still have the energy to go full throttle on the attacking front but not the running? I think an attack speed reduction would also be a nice implementation, maybe a little too much for one spell. I was thinking again along the Chains of Ice mechanic; initial attack speed reduction of 60%, after each second this reduction is reduced by 5% so after 12 seconds, ( the end of the curse ), the target would be back munching on your health at full capacity.

I know it's alot to digest, thats why i'm not elaborating on my ideas for the other curses, I'd like your feedback on this be it positive or negative, thanks.
#3 - Jan. 19, 2009, 4:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Curse of Exhaustion needs a serious overhaul. I think a whole new mechanic could be introduced here.

How about the combination of Curse effects? There is a rather lengthy thread going on with some discussion and a comment from Ghostcrawler about this particular subject here: http://www.worldofraids.com/wow-blue-tracker/us-forums/14318869779-merging-warlock-curses.html

While this post should certainly not be taken as a promise or statement as to what we are going to do/implement, we wanted to encourage some discussion and thought around the concept.
#8 - Jan. 19, 2009, 4:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
so tell me Slorkuz? how exactly are you going to encourage me to participate in that specific discussion on the us forums?

If you have something constructive to say, feel free to convey your thoughts and/or concerns in this thread.

Problem solved :)