Titanguard removed on PTR

#0 - Jan. 16, 2009, 12:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Let's all express our joy over being able to stick with that lovely Mongoose enchant for a few more months, maybe even years! Hey, at least DKs get their Rune of the Stoneskin Gargoyle, for free! I'm so happy for them :)
#21 - Jan. 20, 2009, 2:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Q u o t e:
Had this enchant gone live it would have become THE enchant for nearly all tanks. It would not have been an interesting choice. We would have had to keep introducing higher tiers of the same enchant, or else players would just keep using this version for perpetuity. We put Stamina already on many items. We don't think your weapon needs one as well. I received messages from several tanks for very prominent guilds asking us to please not go forward with this enchant. They understood why it was bad for the game.

Except... here is the developer's point of view: Okay, we just buffed every tank in the game by 750 health. That means we now have to make every mob hit slightly harder to compensate. Otherwise we are just buffing tank survivability for no reason. The net effect to you would be pretty negligible in the long run, while any tank who chose not to put stamina on his or her weapon would suddenly be at a disadvantage.

post by GC

does kinda make sense

Indeed it does :-)

We realize that a lot of people were very eager to get the Titanguard enchant, but we didn't like what this enchant would have done to the game, so we removed it.

That being said, we very much want to add more interesting tanking weapon enchants to the game, but we would prefer to be able to design encounters without presuming that all tanks have the same specific enchant on their weapons. We must be very cautious not to run into the same problem as Titanguard when making new enchants.

We want tanks to be given a choice of enchants, so that not a single one would be preferred over the rest. An enchant to increase weapon damage would be a nice thing for an example, because such an enchant would feel like a viable option as increased damage also means increased threat.
#23 - Jan. 20, 2009, 2:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So either I am missing something, or I am not seeing this "choice" of tank weapon enchants so far in WOTLK.

Well, as I mentioned above, we would like to add more interesting tanking weapon enchants :-)
#30 - Jan. 20, 2009, 3:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Thanks for the post Vaneras.

There's another post on here by Dawnrose inviting constructive ideas for new tanking enchant options.
I know Blizzard prefers to be told "what the problem is" then fix it their own way but I if there's some decent ideas on that thread it can do no harm to pass them on to the Devs.

True :-)