Discussion on the -30% Honour Change

#0 - Dec. 12, 2006, 5:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Fresh from the US Forums

Q u o t e:
Now that the Before the Storm content patch has been live for the past week, we’ve had a better opportunity to track the rate at which players are accumulating honor, and subsequently how easy it's been to obtain honor rewards. In gauging these elements, we've determined that the effort required to obtain honor rewards is more trivial than we had intended. As a result, during today's maintenance we’ve applied a hotfix that reduced the amount of honor gained by approximately 30%. This change allows the honor rewards to be obtained at rate that better reflects the item’s in-game value.

The reason that we decided to reduce the rate of honor gain rather than simply raise the honor cost of each item, is to ensure that everyone’s time and effort participating in PvP since the patch is not diminished. As this change will only affect future honor accumulation.

#147 - Dec. 12, 2006, 10:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
As this hasn't turned into a /sign thread but actually contains mixed opinions (and is the longest thread of that kind on the topic) I took the liberty to change the subject line and blue-tag this one.
#156 - Dec. 12, 2006, 10:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Nice but you failed to comment on the fact that because Premade teams farm PUGs, you punish the casual players just so the farmers can't progress as fast.

This thread is clearly titled to be about the Honour system. There are plenty of other threads to discuss the pre-made vs PUG topic.
#158 - Dec. 12, 2006, 10:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Please see for yourself if you so wish. I do not understand why the people at the US forums are allowed to run petition threads and we don't. I would ask that you please take the time to reply.

That's not the topic of this thread. Regardless - and this is my only reply on that topic in this thread - we don't run the forums 100% identical across the regions. Whether one way is better is a matter of taste, culture and even law. Check the forum guidelines in the Blizzard Archive forum to read more about the rules on the European forums.
#162 - Dec. 12, 2006, 10:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
It is BECAUSE of the premade vs PUGs that honor is gained to easily! Instead you implement a -30% that hits casuals hard.

That's your interpretation of it, which is not necessarily a fact.
#178 - Dec. 12, 2006, 10:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So you're saying -30% honor gain wont hit casuals hard? or is that my interpretation of something you just quoted?

btw, I hope 'Freedom of Speech' is allowed within the World of Warcraft?

and, was that constructive in any way? (oh noes, they're on to you, better lock and delete!)

No, that's not what I said. Of course it will his casual players, by exactly 30%.

And suggesting that I would lock or delete because I'd see your post as unconstructive is an insult and trolling, and actually very unconstructive. *sigh*
#192 - Dec. 12, 2006, 10:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Err, yes it is fact.

Feel free to try it for yourself and see how much more honor you can get. If you que switch to target only pugs like a lot of premades do, then the honor gain / hour is extremely high, far higher than any pug player or fair playing premade could dream of achieving.

These are the overwhelming majority of people who dominated the top of the old honor rankings, and who have collected the crazy amount of new points already. the only other people are the 24/7 farm bots / account sharers. People who will be barely affected by a 30% increase in the price.

They will be affected 30%, just like everybody else. That's a simple fact. Of course the adjustments are based on those getting the most. Pre-mades vs PUGs and the gap they create have always been a factor though - it is not something new we didn't know about.

Whether that is fair, and the way is should be, that's another matter which there is naturally differing opinions on. I noticed a suggestion for diminishing returns to reduce the gap between casual players and pre-made hardcore players, which I think is interesting.
#204 - Dec. 12, 2006, 11:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Outside of science, a word 'fact' may be associated with some of the following:

An honest observation confirmed by widely respected observers.
Errors are common in the interpretation of the meaning of observations.
Power is frequently used to force the politically correct interpretation of an observation.
A repeatedly observed regularity.
One observation of any phenomenon does not necessarily make it a fact. Repeatability of an observation is required usually by using the stated procedures or operational definitions of a phenomenon.
Something thought to be actual as opposed to invented.
Something concrete used as a basis for further interpretation.
Information about a particular subject.
Something believed to be the case.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact#Used_colloquially

And what I quoted was one person stating why another person did something, without the second person stating so, which is not a fact but an assumption. As it was based on a statement from us and other observations I chose to instead call it an interpretation.

Shall we drop the semantics - whoever is right - and get back on the topic instead? :)

Q u o t e:
I'm truely offended by this costumer service! Saying I'm "trolling" and being rude!

You were trolling, i.e. posting something to provoke. If you don't like to be called on it, don't do it.
#222 - Dec. 12, 2006, 11:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
YOu know you could just make rested honour since you already have that done for pve. Same effect pretty much

That's another interesting idea, imo.

Q u o t e:
The thing which annoys us most is your devious way of implementing this change. Can you at least give us an official response from your managers?

Managers manage. Developers develop the game. The developers' reasoning can be found here:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=95730296&sid=1

Q u o t e:
And you are not trolling?!
You are provoking me to post more.

I'm retorting. I guess I bit.

And no, your posts in general are not trolling. I only referred to that one quoted comment suggesting I'd be locking or deleting based on your post.