Cloak Of Shadows - A Mature Thread

#0 - March 19, 2007, 10:58 a.m.
Blizzard Post
1st off please do not post anything such as: L2P noob! COS is fine r-tard, or anything like that, this is a mature thread to try and understand why rogues believe that COS is not overpowered, and for rogues to understand why most classes believe it to be overpowered.

I admit that rogues needed a defense VS warlocks / mages / shadow priests (although it was mostly a battle of skill before TBC), and for this COS being trainable and not talented is fine. I think the dispell ability is fine, most classes have something like that (Ice Block, Bubble, Dispell etc). However the fact that for 5 seconds you have a 90% chance to resist every single spell is overpowered since you can still do 100% damage while it is active, imagine fighting a mage who was frostbolting you for 3K while he was Ice Blocked, hardly fair is it?

Some people will say "Well this game is balanced around 1VS1", and I would like to point out the frequent nerfs to priests / warlocks because of thnigs that are overpowered in 1VS1 but not in teams. Also while COS is active the 90% resist chance is for all spells, not just those of your target, this means that even if the clothie (since they are the ones who suffer the most) has a non-magical ally to help him (only 4 classes out of 9) we are still dead unless we have a spare healer, why should all mages, warlocks and priests have to bring along a healer to kill a rogue? Even then the healer has to stay on the clothie so the rogue doesn't take damage.

Alot of people think that rogues are a clothie killing class, and they are because COS leaves clothies with only a 10% chance to do anything to a rogue (you still have vanish and if specced prep). I am realy struggling to understand why rogues are saying that COS is not overpowered, 1 spell that almost completley negates 3 classes seems unfair. A simple way to balence COS to make it the defensive ability you need instead of the offensive ability it is now would be:

--------------------------------------------
Cloak of Shadows

10 Energy
Instant 5 min cooldown

Instantly removes all existing
harmful spell effects and
increases your chance to
resist the next spell cast on you by 90% for
5 sec
. Does not remove
effects that prevent you
from using Cloak of Shadows.
-------------------------------------------

In short: Cloak Of Shadows is OP because of the 90% chance to resist, why do rogues think it isn't? And a suggestion to help balence it out and make it the defensive spell that rogues needed.

#476 - March 21, 2007, 7:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I started out good, but evolved into a flame fest. That's too bad.