What's wrong with Draenor?

#0 - Dec. 21, 2006, 9:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
We haven't been able to play normally since maintenance yesterday, which for us ended around 5pm. There's been NO posts whatsoever from Blizzard explaining this, save for the normal 'working on things' posts. Right now we keep getting logged off randomly and the lag is unbearable (30 seconds to mount? wtf!). Even our battlegrounds have less lag (and that's saying something)! I'm not sure if it's all our battlegroup servers that have problems, or just Draenor, but it'd be nice if someone, anyone, could just look at the problem and fix it so we can at least raid tonight.

If anyone has the same problems, or worse, please post here as well so it's noticed, and fixed, faster. Thanks.

PS: An official statement about the huge downtime would be greatly appreciated as well.
#5 - Dec. 21, 2006, 9:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Our technical team has located a hardware problem affecting Draenor, and we're working with our hosting provider to have this corrected as soon as possible.
#11 - Dec. 21, 2006, 10:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So after a year of problems the problem will finally get solved?

...Like I believe that

This particular problem started following the maintenance (and extended maintenance) yesterday.
#13 - Dec. 21, 2006, 10:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Downtime just now was a deliberate reset, btw, not a crash. Sorry for there being no prior notice. :-/
#18 - Dec. 21, 2006, 10:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
And all the other problems Draenor has experienced? That's just bad luck?

I don't have enough basis to comment on that. My attention is on the particular issue starting yesterday, and we'll handle other issues as they appear and address them then.
#19 - Dec. 21, 2006, 10:28 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Maybe this is just me, but I prefer the server to be down, then to be up but in a condition in which is not possible to play. I just fought a mob a few levels lower than myself with my priest could not even cast a shield to protect myself. By the time I managed to cast the shield I was already dead a minute or more and got the message that I cannot do that when I am dead. Just close the server while you sort this problem because we cannot play like this anyway. At least then when the server is up again we know that you solved the problem.

Kernem

Such issues normally require the system to be under load over time to even show the symptoms, making it hard to correct without having regular playing activity ongoing on the realm.
#26 - Dec. 21, 2006, 11:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Ah, and the "particular" problems we've experienced since the launch of this game has all been from diffrent reasons EVERY SINGLE TIME WITH THE SAME SYMPTOMS?

I checked the uptime and population graph for the last 24 hours, and it's not pretty. If you're telling me yesterday's issues have affected Draenor continually since launch I believe you simply do not fully know the issues Draenor has suffered the last 24 hours.

Basically, I'm not saying the realm doesn't have issues on a regular basis (nor am I saying that it does - I don't have enough data for either), only that yesterday's issues is something else entirely.

Q u o t e:
Thungbot, quick question. You mentioned before about there being a hardware fault, can you confirm if this hardware is being replaced with something shiny and new, i think that would go some way to reasuring players on Draenor that Blizzard are actually prepared to spend hard cash to sort this out.

Hardware will be replaced if it's needed. It would probably be scheduled for a maintenance though, unless it's in critical condition.
#55 - Dec. 21, 2006, 12:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Thundgot, can we please have an update, no matter how small
you've given us much more info than tech support has, I've given up trying there.

Only thing I can say is that we're still monitoring the realm and trying to find out exactly where the problem lies.
#67 - Dec. 21, 2006, 1:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Progressing backwards?

Turns out that fix didn't address the main issue, and the located fault may only have had a minor impact.
#71 - Dec. 21, 2006, 1:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Ah well shoudl be fixed by the end of the day at least.

Hopefully in the next couple of hours. The first attempt at a fix was a reset / fail-over on the hardware, which didn't work. Next step is a replacement, which should be carried out as soon as we have a guy on-site.
#82 - Dec. 21, 2006, 1:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Why was my post deleted?! I made perfectly valid points...

See what they do when you point out the obvious selfishness of Blizzard?

You Deleted my post, that just proves you can't argue against it.

There's no point in arguing with insults, rants and untruths spouted as a result of frustration. I deleted the post to give you a chance to calm down and instead contribute with something constructive.
#90 - Dec. 21, 2006, 1:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Provide proof that what i posted was an "untruth".

Sure. You posted the same one again:
Q u o t e:
they do not care about the quality of your server
#103 - Dec. 21, 2006, 2:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We expect to start the hardware replacement within 1 hour. This will involve downtime between 30 minutes and 1 hour, with a 15 minute countdown before the realm is shut down.
#113 - Dec. 21, 2006, 2:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Sorry folks, but realm numbers, graphs, etc are not for me to give out, nor can I divulge more details by request. I'm telling you what I can already.
#130 - Dec. 21, 2006, 3:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The hardware replacement will be a little delayed (should be within the next hour or two), but it'll probably not involve much downtime at all - possibly just a quick disconnect (yes, another one). I'll let you know when it's completed so we can all see how it works.
#138 - Dec. 21, 2006, 4:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The shutdown just completed was for all realms, to address the mail issue. The shutdown for the hardware replacement will start momentarily.
#144 - Dec. 21, 2006, 4:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The hardware replacement has been completed, and the realm is back up. We're monitoring the situation to see whether it helped. *crosses fingers*
#153 - Dec. 21, 2006, 5:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Seems ok so far, so I'll leave Draenor entirely in the hands of our technical team from here on and go make sure those Gurkys reach their new owners before the weekend. :)
#170 - Dec. 22, 2006, 10:22 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
There was quite allot of lag for a while, especially in bg's. I often go to AV and i always seems to get lag. :/

Cross-Realm Battlegrounds are running on their own hardware, not on each individual realm, thus this is something affecting all players, not just those on single realms. CRBG performance is something we're continually working on.