07/02 Free Character Migration

#0 - Feb. 7, 2007, 9:35 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Note: any free migration may be changed or closed at any time.

Please keep this thread on the topic of the below migrations. Posts concerning other migrations (requests, old migrations, PCT, etc) will not be responded to here.

To use the free migration, please follow this link:
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/support/charactermoverealms.html

FAQ: http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/faq/charactermove.html

The below migrations will be activated today (Wednesday February 7th). They're scheduled to close at the start of the maintenance on Wednesday February 14th. However, again, please note that this may change at any time.

Grim Batol to Spinebreaker
Outland to Spinebreaker
Warsong to Spinebreaker

#12 - Feb. 7, 2007, 9:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
when is balnazzar getting migration?
that realm is going nuts have to be in que 3 of the 5 times ot get in

Balnazzar hasn't reached the population cap lately. I'll check whether the cap is incorrect, but the realm should not at all be in need of a reduction in population at this time.
#20 - Feb. 8, 2007, 9:19 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Hello, is there like a list of upcoming future free char. migrations? i play on outland but i don't really like spinebreaker..

There's no such list. Basically, you shouldn't count on there being any free migration except what's currently running.

Q u o t e:
How about Stormreaver? I'm really amazed, if you say it's not "full enough".
Barely every day, sometimes even many times a day, we suffer from huge lag spikes and our world servers seem to have competition in crashing themselves.
Q u o t e:
When will ragnaros be on free migration? The server has a lot of master laggs[/u]
Q u o t e:
How about the Earthen Ring? as you well know, it has most down time.

As said before the migration is based on population, not on performance. Stability issues will be addressed specifically, not by moving players to other realms.
#34 - Feb. 8, 2007, 2:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
as i see you deleted all replies that have anything to do with my comment, that spinebreaker will become the 3rd unofficial russian server.

Correct. The tone grew a bit too anti-Russian to be appropriate, so I decided to remove it entirely from this thread to avoid it escalating as it unfortunately usually does when some individuals can't control themselves. Feel free to share information, but having such a tone towards a nationality is not appreciated on these forums.
#36 - Feb. 8, 2007, 3:40 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
@ Thundgot:

As you removed my post as well, let me just state that I am not anti-Russian.

I should also clarify that I didn't mean that all removed posts (or those making them) were expressing anti-Russian views. It's just a sad truth that such topics, regardless of nationality at the end of the stick, very much tend to snowball into rather unpleasant threads. While we could keep the topic and rather moderate as needed in a thread specifically on that topic, having it inside another topic (like this one) is not very helpful.

A valid concern, and something one's free to discuss (in a nice and mature tone), just not when it's not the actual topic of the thread.
#37 - Feb. 8, 2007, 3:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Oh, and...
Q u o t e:
we're just a little bit P/O'd because we got a free migration off of Skullcrusher because it was laggy and prone to crashing

No, you were offered free migration because Skullcrusher was highly populated. That it was experiencing technical issues at the time was a coincidence. It happens to a few realms, some more than for others, in almost every free migration period (migration period = back-to-back batches of migration).
#44 - Feb. 9, 2007, 11:52 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
LoL, coincidence... Skullcrusher was one of the first servers open for wow-europe, I've been playing on it from day 1. Ofcourse it was overpopulated fast and that in turn gave bad performance. Your hardware, at that time, just couldn't cope with all the players and the easy way out were migrations.

The realm cap is set at a value where the performance is expected to be good. Above this cap there will thus be queues, and when they become too much of an impact on people's play experience we offer free migration. Free migration is offered as the alternative to increasing the cap and causing performance issues, not to resolve existing issues.

The technical issues people often use to argue for getting free migration (as it leads to disconnects, world server down errors, etc) are specific and addressed by fixing the actual issue. Moving people off the realm will not fix e.g. a failing switch or damaged network cable, hence such issues are not added in when considering free migration for the realm. If anything it would make the migration less predictable, meaning the realm could be less likely to be offered free migration.

Of course, it may seem like it's not a coincidence when looking only at one realm, which most do. If you take the time to look at the bigger picture (all migrations, not just your own) you should easily discover that technical issues are in no way connected to free migration offers. Anybody wishing to claim otherwise ought to maybe sit back and realize they're not in the know instead of claiming they are and others are not. ;)
#77 - Feb. 12, 2007, 11:09 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
hmmm!! something here does not add up to me, so when ppl are experiancing log in Que's and Lag on that server wouldnt that then be classified as over populated?

To me it would seam that those experiancing lag regularly have an Over-populated server these servers would suggest that there is a Que... some of these postings are Stressing/highlighting this fictional fact.. i say fictional cause im no expert, but seams like common knowledge.. BUT You *blizzard ent* are suggesting they cant have a FREE Migration due to they not reaching the "CAP" for that server..

Realms having frequent and/or long queues are considered too highly populated and in need of action, normally free migration. A queue of 100 tops one evening of the week does not fall into that category.

We also run migration from realms not suffering from such queues, but then it's a matter of filling up the destination realm or migrating from a realm that is showing a trend that would lead to such queues soon.

Q u o t e:
From what i have personally seen,it happens on almost all reams with full or high medium population

Then you simply need to widen your personal field of view. :)
#87 - Feb. 13, 2007, 3:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Did you reply anything to this or am I completely blind?

First post:
Q u o t e:
Posts concerning other migrations (requests, old migrations, PCT, etc) will not be responded to here.
#93 - Feb. 14, 2007, 11:05 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Uncticking and locking this one as this migration is over. We'll now leave the free character migration off for at least a week on the English realms to see how the population trends develop, and then consider new migrations again.