Deleted threads

#0 - March 6, 2007, 1:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Was just wondering...what with the forums being down I went over to the USA forums..........was amazed at how angry and vocal people where - I was also totally amazed at how many threads where being deleted, not locked, deleted.

Specifically where it came to mentioning the previous behaviour of certain WoW designers in previous games, their hatred of hybrid classes, gentle mockery to the tune of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer ( was very funny!!)and the fact that they used their influence to move their entire guild from a pve server to a pvp server...a big nono for the rest of us!

So could someone please clarify - would we get threads locked and banned for mentioning such terrible things on the EU servers?

The ranting btw of said designers was epic btw - to the extent that one has to wonder exactly what sort of people they are - unfortunately it being out on the good old web it's come back to bite them on the bum in their new role as Blizzard demi Gods.
#2 - March 6, 2007, 2:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Threads may be locked or deleted if they violate the forum guidelines. Some topics have a tendency to move across the line of harassment and trolling, in which case they will be handled according to the guidelines. Naturally, some will claim their right to insult and harass others as they wish, but we don't subscribe to such point of view.

And of course, anybody having their thread deleted or locked did nothing wrong. Ever. Because they say so. :p
#5 - March 6, 2007, 3:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
mmph my opinion is Blizzard deleted the threads because it was extremely embarrassing for them to see and let their customers see the type of people they've employed to design their game.

Course all those "Fire the bastards!!" threads may be construed as "causing distress"......

Calling people "bastards" is crossing the line by itself.
#11 - March 6, 2007, 3:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I've seen people resort to name-calling with no action whatsoever taken on your part, simply because they flamed people that dared to critizise Blizzard.

Or maybe it wasn't reported? Please do report such posts, as name-calling is not appreciated regardless of the context or what the person may have said prior. Unfortunately we can't cover all posts on the forums by ourselves and must in many cases rely on reports, while naturally hot topics tend to get our attention for feedback gathering purposes and thus get a closer eye also for moderation.

Q u o t e:
Personally I've been Banned twice now for "Flaming/Deragatory language" against Tigole and the Dev team in general(Threads deleted).

One of them must have been before these new forums were launched, as the records show only one such suspension.

Q u o t e:
So sorry if I lost faith in you by now, and I'm pretty sure this'll get Deleted and I'll get my third and permanent Forum-ban for disagreeing with you Thund.

You almost deserve it for insinuating that I would do such a thing, which is frankly very insulting. If you think about it for a second I'm sure you understand that yourself. I'll write it off as a show of frustration in a weak moment.

Q u o t e:
They deleted my thread about an epic item having the graphics of a grey level 3 item.

So anything that doesn't float their boat gets deleted these days

You mean this one?
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=209761002&postId=2096521304&sid=1#0
#12 - March 6, 2007, 3:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Shame to see that the thread where I was pointing out lack of answers, in what I think it's been a polite way to ask, has been deleted too.

I wrote my thread to ask for a kind answer about the lack of CMs presence in the sticky above, about the CE pets' issue.

Yes, I saw your post about it in the CE thread earlier, and asked around as that sounds strange. I still haven't found out who would have deleted it and why, so I can't give a good answer on that. I'll see whether we can get a response in the CE issue thread today though.
#29 - March 6, 2007, 4:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
but feeling he should ban some1 coz he might have INSINUEATED something and that he feels insulted by that... sorry, but sounds like bull%%!% to me.

zomg, that user wears green t-shirt! how insulting! BAN!

You're comparing wearing a green t-shirt to basically saying "that moderator will ban everyone who disagree with him"? I rest my case.

Also notice the word "almost". ;)

Q u o t e:
So it's ok for an in-game NPC to call another faction "Bastards"? But you frown on it being used in your forums which is being used by the people who play the game, which are having this defamatory language placed infront of them in the first place?

I think you, or your superiors need to sort out your ethics.

Game and forums are not under the same guidelines. We also look very much at the context.

Q u o t e:
Sarcastically calling someone a "genius" because they made a simple, entry-level HTML error when they're being paid to do a job is apparantly enough to get a three-day ban.

Sounds more like trolling than harassment to me. I looked that one up, and it seems it was more a collection of posts leading to that one, not a single comment.

Q u o t e:
As for frustration, there's been alot of that around lately. I don't think I'm the only one feeling like that...

I think everyone can agree on that. There have been some rather touchy subjects and much discussed (and among some very unpopular) changes lately, but it's hopefully calming down a bit.

Q u o t e:
Wouldn't topics get alot less hash/insulting if Blizzard representatives actually took the time to react contructive to contructive posts by players in which they asked for answers to upcomming changes? Looks to me this could be actually be a winner for both Blizzard and there playerbase.

But we do take the time. We're unfortunately not able to respond to everything, and certainly not always with what people want to hear, but we do take the time. However - and this is a key point - we are legally obliged to uphold the forum guidelines, so it does have first priority at all times.

Q u o t e:
Personally I'm a fan of locking threads rather than deleting them.

So are we, as it shows what is/was not appreciated, and if it isn't clear we can comment in the closing post. We definitely try to keep deletion to a minimum.

Q u o t e:
Would I cross the line if I made a movie about Blizzard where I used German music from the 1940s?

Depends entirely on the music and theme, but I think I know what you mean. Simply: compare any of my colleagues to the !%#! regime of Hitler, and I will happily perma-ban you from the forums without a second thought.

/me looks really mean