Why a forced profanity filter?

#0 - May 30, 2007, 1:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've been wondering about this, in game you are able to turn it off but I haven't found a way to do so on these forums yet which is annoying as I'd like to know what someone is saying before I report them or alternatively because Blizzard censures the weirdest things like | @%!% Cheney | The#!!##% | Fotherin#%! and probably lots more words. Let me please decide to take the risk to come in contact with profanity myself!
#40 - May 31, 2007, 7:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
All right children. Playtime is over. Go wash your mouths with soap now. :p

The word filter is far from complete, and there might even be some words in there we can take out. However, the point of it is mainly to give a strong hint about what kind of language we don't appreciate on these forums. (No, it's actually not there to give people an excuse to use those words.) The forums are here for the enjoyment of the entire community, and I'm sure the thick skinned of us can survive very well without the cussing. Find a mirror and give it your best if you really need your daily dose.

And as was mentioned, circumventing the filter is not appreciated, as making an actual effort to work around the rules set for the forums is hardly a way to get on a moderator's good side. ;)
#47 - May 31, 2007, 8:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
You have a good side?

Yep. The left one. I.e. the one not occupying the hand pressing the ban button. :p

Q u o t e:
Saying Wanker or Bugger is far far worse than saying *%%, at least in the UK.

Really? "Bugger"? I need to update my own English vocabulary a little bit too. That word reminds me mostly of "four weddings and a funeral", so to me it has a fun twist. :p

Adding "review English word filter" to my task list at least.
#51 - May 31, 2007, 8:14 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I don't mind the profanity filter on these forums at all, tbh. Although I would like to know why %!! (triple-G) is considered a "bad" word. G G G! ... I can see why triple-K gets censored, but why the triple-G's?

Trust me. You don't want to know.
#88 - June 1, 2007, 9:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
hang on, why is that a blocked word again. Ahhh less work for CMs to lock accounts or have people repor... hmm.... they do that anyway

Yep, people report and we suspend for inappropriate language. The word filter is not to reduce the need for moderation, but to avoid people having to read that kind of language. As said before, these forums are for the entire community, not only the foul mouthed ones or those who don't mind a little rough language.

And I'll see whether we can get the filter to catch exact words only. :)