Sooo many players in WoW...

#0 - June 28, 2007, 12:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
It's sad I dont have enough time to play with each one of you =)
I love meeting new people, and knowing there are so many realms out there, with millions of people that are unknown to me, is just... bleh... Blizzard fix it =)

Merge all realms into one!
#5 - June 28, 2007, 2:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
It's sad I dont have enough time to play with each one of you =)
I love meeting new people, and knowing there are so many realms out there, with millions of people that are unknown to me, is just... bleh... Blizzard fix it =)

Meeting new people is a nice thing indeed :-)

Q u o t e:
Merge all realms into one!

I think we will first have to see some major technological breakthroughs in hardware design and performance before this will be possible ;-)

Edit: I am bad at quoting :-(
#18 - June 28, 2007, 3:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Why don't you go visit the people behind EVE Online a bit then?

Two primary reasons I can think of:

1. World of Warcraft population != Eve Online population:
  • Put the entire World of Warcraft population on EvE onlines server architecture = monstrous performance issues due to severe increase of players being online simultaneously.

• Put the entire Eve Online population on World of Warcraft realm architecture = very good performance, but very, very, very empty realms due to severe decrease of players being online simultaneously

2. two completely different games.
  • Two different game engine technologies = Different hardware requirements.

• Different types of gameplay = Different strain on network and Internet infrastructure

Edit: Bad formatting :-(
#21 - June 28, 2007, 3:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Here you go: http://www.newscientisttech.com/article/dn12145-ibm-creates-worlds-most-powerful-computer.html

Q u o t e:
The first supercomputer capable of crunching through a thousand trillion mathematical operations every second has been announced by IBM. This is roughly equivalent to the combined processing power of a 2.4-kilometre-high pile of laptop computers.

Now we just need one or two of those computers to become available as regular assembly line business machine solutions :-)
#23 - June 28, 2007, 3:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

The word you are looking for is 'Architecture' not 'infrastructure' :)
But it sums up the thruth, anyway.

Truth... I made a bad :-(
#31 - June 28, 2007, 3:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Maybe, but couldn't you learn just something? I mean, since this is Blizzard's first MMO, and there haven't been any changes in it's existance, isn't it soon time to look upon the possibilities to expand a bit? I doubt everything, let it be both the hardware and software part is fully optimized, should be capable of some more now adays.

Just because Eve and WoW comprises of two very different and probably very incompatible technologies, that doesn't mean that we just sit around and scratch our bums and do nothing all day.

The developers are of course always looking for ways to improve overall performance and capacity, and when good and viable solutions present themselves, then we will see improvements all over the line :-)