12/09 Free character migration

#0 - Sept. 12, 2007, 10:34 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Due to population differences between some of the highest and lowest populated PvP realms, the following Free Character Migration will be available from September 12th to 18th:

From: Al'Akir, Burning Legion, Crushridge, Stonemaul, Warsong
To: Boulderfist, Burning Blade, Daggerspine, Jaedenar

Please note that the migration may be closed at any time should a destination realm's population rise too high.

FAQ: http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/faq/charactermove.html
#12 - Sept. 13, 2007, 2:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
would be nicer if the free transfer was o the recommended realms, so we could have new ones =)

For PvP realms the Recommended tag is currently kept to the newest ones, while we address other realms with lower-than-average population through free migration. On a general population topic, new PvP realms are not likely just because we limit the number of realms currently Recommended.

Q u o t e:
Anyone know if the free transfer triggers the cooldown thing on transfers or not?

It shouldn't.

Q u o t e:
Character Migration down, not working for me. :(

Reported. Should hopefully be fixed soon.
#20 - Sept. 17, 2007, 3:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I would like to have free migration from Kul Tiras to Nagrand :) That would be absolutly loved ;)
Q u o t e:
May i ask a "blue poster" If it's gonna be a free migration from Stormscale in the soon future?

There are too many factors involved in free character migration to say in advance what might happen. Current;y there are no plans for free migration beyond what's open at the moment.

Q u o t e:
It says the following PvP realms, but will we see this for the PvE realms aswell soon?

Terenas dosnt count as a low pop server, but well...it is on the horde side, were outnumbered 4 to 1, 83% off the server is alliance players, and i think that should be reason enough to open migration for terenas aswell.

Anything you can say about this? becouse were getting kind off worried we are going to be stuck with these numbers and 5 hours to get a group going -.-

Free migration is used to address total population, not faction balance, and there's no guarantee that a free migration would improve the ratio on any realm.
#26 - Sept. 19, 2007, 11:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
then introduce horde/alliance only transfers?

It's a noted suggestion.

Q u o t e:
since on chromaggus its 1 alliance vs 4 horde, makes world pvp fun tho

While we understand and value concerns about faction balance or just faction numbers by themselves, and certainly take it seriously, please understand that impressions of numbers can be different from factual numbers. 1-to-4 ratio on Chromaggus is simply far from the facts.

Q u o t e:
I agree, it's not for certain that it would improve the total population, nor fix the faction problem. But atleast it would give the horde players a chanse to actually enjoy the game again.

And it could just as well make the situation worse, by the faction with lower numbers on the source realm moving instead of the one with higher numbers. Hence why we don't use free migration for that purpose.

Q u o t e:
if only few people transffered from "Russian" Warsong and "Russian" Stonemaul to "50-60% Russian populated" Shadowmoon a week ago, why openning another transfer to realms with a very small or non Russian population?

The keyword there is "if". You seem to go with the assumption that few people moved, which is not the case. Warsong and Stonemaul could definitely do with some more people moving. That's all.

Q u o t e:
Warsong and Stonemaul population is happy on their realms. Many of the players do not speak English at all. Nobody wants to transfer, especially to "non Russian" servers.

Let them be.

Stop the transfers, lift the limitations so queues could disappear.

Plenty of players have moved also this week from those two realms. I'm sure they would have disagreed with your idea of not letting them migrate because you think they didn't want to.

And the realm caps are there for a purpose. If we could just remove them without any further ado, we'd have done it a long time ago.

Closing and un-stickying this thread as the migration is over. Feel free to continue discussions on free migration and realm population in other threads though. Try to present speculation, impressions, personal opinions and guesswork for what it is though, not claim they're actual facts. ;)