Seeking clarification - new TOS

#0 - Oct. 6, 2007, 9:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ok, so as we all know there was an additional click-through screen for the new TOS when we installed 2.2.2. I'm seeking blue clarification as to 3Cii, namely

ii. create or use cheats, "mods", and/or hacks, or any other third-party software designed to modify the World of Warcraft experience;

Can we get confirmation as to exactly what kind of things we're talking about? A number of members fo my guild are now worries about using CharacterProfiler to populate our roster. Does Teamspeak not constitute third party software designed to modify the WoW experience?

Hopefully we can get some form of official confirmation either way - there's lots of confusion floating around on various boards, and we could use an old FUD cleanup.

kkthxbye!
#12 - Oct. 9, 2007, 9:38 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I'm no "legal" person, but it basically sounds like it comes down to "if you know you shouldn't be using this program or 'mod' then don't do it or risk losing your account."
Mods that have been mentioned here don't seem to touch that line.

I recall some AddOns some time ago that would, for example, change skins of mobs or players, this wouldn't be allowed, although what action might be taken if caught using that, I really don't know.

However, the first thing that came to mind when I saw this post was an AddOn that will scan the armoury and then provide all the data you need when entering an Arena battle. I haven't seen an official line on stuff like that, but it could raise an interesting moral discussion ;)

And, in the end, BOTs are pure evil. Programs that play for you or let you afk in BGs are NOT ok.