07/11 Free character migration

#0 - Nov. 7, 2007, 1:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Due to population differences between some of the highest and lowest populated PvP realms, the following Free Character Migration will be available November 7th to 13th:

To: Boulderfist, Daggerspine, Vek'nilash

Please note that the migration may be closed at any time should a destination realm's population rise too high.

FAQ: http://www.wow-europe.com/en/info/faq/charactermove.html
#4 - Nov. 7, 2007, 4:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Could someone please explain me, why on earth are you spamming migration just before the end of season 2?

I'm fairly certain you got bigger chance to get people moving at the start of season 3.

Running migration now won't prevent us from running migration later. And not everybody plays in the Arena you know. :)
#11 - Nov. 8, 2007, 7:55 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I think you are aware of the relationships players have with each other. So saying not everybody plays in arena merely covers the complexity of the situation, but I think you know that too. :P

Of course other players may not move until their Arena-playing friends wish to move too. However, we do see hundreds move every time, so saying nobody will move now is simply a misguided guess. ;)

Q u o t e:
i think free migrations should ALL go to burning blade.. we are by far the most underpopulated realm in europe.. no this is not made up.. its a fact..

If you can point me to the reliable source for this "fact" I'd be happy to point out why it is not as reliable as you think.

Q u o t e:
Unless you haven't noticed already, Repeated free migrations to Boulderfist simply isnt working.

It has higher population now than before the migrations. I'm not sure how that can be classified as "not working", though of course it could always work better.

Q u o t e:
Sorry for the silly metaphor but what im trying to get at is try perhaps get the 5 most popular servers and ONLY Boulderfist as a target.

And leave the other realms with a lower-than-average population behind? You seem to assume that Boulderfist is by far the lowest populated realm, which is simply not correct. :)
#14 - Nov. 8, 2007, 11:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Read back please, I never said that :S

If it wasn’t clear enough, my point meant to be, that a migration at an early phase of season 3 could be lot more successful than it is now.

...which I already addressed by pointing out that running migration now doesn't prevent us from running migration later.

(migration during end of Season 2 AND migration during start of Season 3) > (migration during end of Season 2 OR migration during start of Season 3)
#36 - Nov. 12, 2007, 9:35 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
is it possible that you give out some hard numbers like which realm is the most populated and which is the least populated (added by numbers, thats the interesting part :> ) or is that classified top secret high level access material? what reasons do you have to not show it to the community? has anybody ever asked for it yet?

It's been asked for several times, and if we'd give them we'd have done so. The problem is that people tend to use such numbers in completely wrong ways, jumping to conclusions, arguing without the full picture, and creating completely wild speculations, thus while one can argue for more transparency for the sake of information itself, releasing such data would surely not help anything on constructive analysis and discussion.

...and people would still claim the numbers are wrong, just as they claim we are wrong when we say straight up that realm A is more populated than realm B. ;)

Q u o t e:
I'm not sure how to interprate this if Boulderfist isn't the lowest population PvP EU realm?

Realm population fluctuates, and while Boulderfist is rarely the lowest one any week is has been among the lower populated realms when we've run migrations.