Linux, WoW, Step by step.

#0 - May 17, 2007, 8:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
With a little help from a fellow co-os user I have decided to make a Linux install guide for all you who decide to transfer. Greetings to the Cowking for helping me on my tries and giving me the idea to do this.

If you decided to transfer you already know that Linux is free, not just free as no money payed, but free as in “Freedom of speech” kinda way. And you know you will never have to worry about viruses, key loggers and spyware again. I will skip some things as I believe you already know the basics like partitioning your hard-drive etc.. The file system used in Linux is Ext3, at least I would recommend it. Since I use Debian, I will only explain the major set-backs and tricks used in that distribution. You can choose from various distributions but if you do some things may differ so you´re on your own (Google is your friend:) . Before you start installing it would be nice to have a backup computer by your side on which you can search the web if you encounter any problems, you can ask questions on Forums or you can create a char on Emeriss (horde) and whisp Zelenko or Masch (me) and ask me directly. If I´m not wiping I´ll be glad to help you out: )

Let´s start with the install. If you have a broadband connection the following way is the best. Get ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r0-i386-kde-CD-1.iso , the only thing you need. First install CD, you´ll get your basic system operating and later on you will download and install needed packages from the online repository. Burn this image, insert it and start installing. ( If you prefer torrents rather then FTP (dunno why you would but nvm) you can use ftp://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/debian-cd/current/i386/bt-cd/debian-40r0-i386-kde-CD-1.iso.torrent .

The first thing you will come across is the hard-drive partitioning where you choose how to setup your hard-drive. I would highly recommend that you put /root (system files) and /home on separate partitions. For your safety, if you %**# something up, you won´t lose your data. Next few steps should be trivial, keyboard selection, Region and Time-zone etc. You will have to define a root password (root is God) and create a user (yourself) and a different password for that account. Everything you do you will do as yourself, ONLY when you need something changed/configured/installed you will log in as root, do it and log out ASAP, you wouldn´t want to %**# something up would you?=) At least not yet. Setup will now install the base system and after that it will ask you if you need any additional software. You choose with your spacebar between a “Desktop Environment”, “Web Server”etc.. decide what you want/need and proceed. After defining you IP address, gateway, DNS server etc you should be done with the basic installation. So far it´s been easy, now it gets a bit challenging.

So you have your new operating system working, what now? Basically you will do whatever you do on Windows. install needed software. I will recommend a few programs/packages everyone should have and are the same or more often better the the Windows versions.

NOTE: If you access the web via a router you should be online if you typed your IP address correct, if you are using a dialer your connection might not be up.If it´s not up and you don´t know how to enable it do this:

start a Terminal session, Menu > System > Terminal
type su * requires root password *
type pppoeconf
configure your username and password and that should be it. Press “ Ctrl+D” after to get out of the root interface

The program you will use for upgrading/updating your system is called Synaptic, you can find it in Menu > Debian > Apps > System > Synaptic Package Manager. Run it ( you will have to have a root password ) and set it up. Setting it up means nothing more then to choose your country and where from the packages should be downloaded, I´m sure you will find your country and available servers easily. After that, use search bar to search for packages and click on them to mark for installation. The packages you will like and will find usefull are next (in random order):

Mplayer – All around media player , Kmplayer ( Player based on mplayer with a graphical interface ). - Alternative - Xine, I myself haven't used it but will recommend it for using.
Firefox ( Firefox name was changed to Ice Weasel but you will find both packages available for installation, don´t worry, they´re the same thing, just differ in names)
Opera - Well known alternative for MSIE and Firefox
Thunderbird ( Name changed to Ice Dove), same things aswell.
Open Office – Equivalent to any latest edition of MS Office – supports all formats aswell.
GIMP – Graphic manipulation program.
XMMS – Same as Winamp
Azureus – BT client
DCPP – DC++ for linux, In my country we use it a lot, dunno about other countries.
Kopete – Contains equivalents for MSM, ICQ, IRC etc.. - alternative - Gaim (Pidgin)
Wine – The little thingy needed to run WoW :) Compatibility layer for running Windows programs.
Beryl - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y
Amarok - Great music player

If I have forgotten any important packages feel free to name them and I will add them to the list.
Next step: Graphics. If you´re an Nvidia fan, read on, if you use ATI you can find detailed instructions here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Debian_Installation_Guide

Get to www.nvidia.com and from the list choose the drivers for x86 Linux, for your type of graphic card. Download it. Next, you will have to reboot your computer since you can´t install the drivers while running your Desktop Interface (KDE). On the selection screen choose * Single user mode *, when prompted enter root password and you will get a shell interface, no mouse, no icons, just plain text.. beautiful :)

Go to your home folder ( cd /home/username ) * btw key TAB is autocomlete, so use it:) where you downloaded the driver and you should see something like this:

root@heaven:/home/username#

#26 - May 18, 2007, 10:32 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Ohhh.... Another cool WoW and Linux guide :-)

Hmm... perhaps it would be a good idea to combine this guide with the one already posted in the newcomers forum... Anyone up for the task?
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=285139220&sid=1
#32 - May 18, 2007, 11:37 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Do the blues not have a merge thread function? Urgh painful :*(

Unfortunately not :(

Feel free to work something out together, so we can have both guides in one sticky.