Ask Creative Development—Round IV Answers

Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#1 - April 3, 2014, 6:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Salutations! The name's Loreology, one part of the historian trifecta here at Blizzard Entertainment.

Even though I've met many of you amazing community members via Twitter
@Loreology I wanted to take a second to welcome all newcomers that I haven't had the privilege to meet yet. Ish-ne-alo por-ah, friends!

Now then, let's get down to brass tacks. Over the past few months, I've managed to pose a handful of your questions to our titans of Blizzard lore, and they have graciously taken time out of their action-packed schedules to answer them.

Please keep in mind that the for the most part, Twitter questions seen here are presented as they were submitted, with minimal corrections to address spelling, punctuation, and so on, except for readability.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy this round of "Ask CDev," and please continue firing off your interesting inquiries my way. I'll do what I can to ensure they're answered via Twitter or recorded for future interrogation on the infamous list. I shall leave no question unrecorded!

So, without further ado, here's what the CDev folks had to say regarding your questions.

For the lore!

—Loreology (a.k.a. Sean Copeland, "The Blue Shirt Guy")

Questions & Answers

Adrián Šuchta @Mordenay: Back in WotLK, Trag Highmountain claimed he will attack ICC when the time comes. When the attack occurred he was not there. Reason?
CDev Response: Trag kept his word during the Wrath of the Lich King expansion and joined the assault on Icecrown Citadel. However, this epic battle was fought on many fronts. While we heroes assaulted the citadel directly, Trag and a handful of death knights took the fight to Arthas on another battleground. These warriors were victorious, but rumors tell of how this fearless tauren took an arrow to the knee.

Bobby Vandenberg @Purpadude: Void creatures (Dimensius, particularly Voidwalkers, Darkened Naaru) are different than Demons. True or false?
CDev Response: True!

Emilio Martinetti @CEMOTucu: Was Harbinger Vurenn, in Valiance Keep, a member of the Hand of Argus?
CDev Response: Harbinger Vurenn is not affiliated with the Hand of Argus. In fact, having "official" ties to the order would be a hindrance for his area of expertise. Vurenn remains an extremely well-connected draenei whose contacts include vindicators (such as Yaala) of that very organization.

loopnotdefined @loopnotdefined: Can you ask if the "Five Suns" (Lorewalker Stonestep) encounter in Jade Temple dungeon is legit history or just myth?
CDev Response: Lorewalker Stonestep's story of the "Five Suns" originated from a tragic tale of hardship. Legends tell of a horrific drought that ravaged Pandaria and its denizens. While the land has since recovered from that natural disaster, the facts gave way to a more fanciful tale that proved to be more interesting for the Lorewalkers to tell (and was better at grabbing the attention of bored cubs).

Jesse O'Connor @MisterJ_O: All Horde members make Blood Oath to Warchief. Why is Vol’jin’s blood oath more important than Garrosh's with the player?
CDev Response: The oath that the Darkspear chieftain implores the heroes to make to him is a personal one. The Blood Oath of the Horde binds its warriors to the warchief, but more importantly, the oath binds them all together to the Horde. That is the Horde Vol'jin swore to follow. That is the Horde Vol'jin would have died to protect.

Those ideals perished when the assassin's dagger was plunged into his neck. Vol'jin no longer recognized the legitimacy of Garrosh as warchief, and at the end of the "Dagger in the Dark" Scenario, he asks the players to do the same. Justice—both for himself and for his people—now demands action, and by the loa, his retribution will not be denied.

Nick Rainier Santos @Ujimasa_Hojo: Has Trade Prince Donais joined the Horde as well or is he just a guest of Trade Prince Gallywix?
CDev Response: Trade Prince Donais is the poster child of goblin enterprise. While his cartel adheres to strict neutrality policies in order to maximize profitability, this goblin isn't above associating with anyone who can increase the volume of gold that rests in his personal coffers.

Nick Rainier Santos @Ujimasa_Hojo: What is the current allegiance of Shadowforge City?
CDev Response: The home of the Dark Iron dwarves is currently in flux. Their leader, Moira Thaurissan, is preoccupied with maintaining the alliance with her former enemies. She hasn't had the chance to ensure the security of her son's future kingdom, as her "allies" on the Council of Three Hammers relentlessly seek out any signs of treachery.

It's highly likely that Shadowforge City will rise again and reclaim its former glory . . . when Moira has a single moment to spare.

Nazja @Trike_Stealer: @Loreology Goblins already existed pre-Sundering, are there no archeology objects for them since they destroy everything, leaving no traces?
CDev Response: Goblin settlements and the devices within are notoriously unstable, and goblins aren't really known to preserve their obsolete (read: nonfunctional) machines. Most of their archaeological remains are blackened craters filled with shredded scrap, not of interest to modern explorers.

In fact, goblins are quite fond of pawning off their "historical devices" to any sucker—ahem, person—willing to sign a contract and part with some gold coins to obtain their very own technological marvel. For this reason, if a goblin offers to sell you a "historical artifact," you'd better pass. They've been scamming unsuspecting archaeologists with scrap metal and banana slicers for years.

Zazuli of Sen'jin @Akharr: What’s Azuregos been up to since he and Kalec left Azshara?
CDev Response: As the blue dragon said himself, "Sometimes it's easy to get lost in the throes of love and lose sight of things, even as a dragon."

Because the star-crossed lover was unable to prevent Kalecgos from becoming the next Aspect of the blue dragonflight, we suspect we'll find Azuregos deep in the throes of yet another impossible romance. Sorry, Anara. It's not you; it's him.

Jay H @Mutterscrawl: Can you put an end to the debate about the Shatterspear troll tribe, are there any left after Darkshore or not?
CDev Response: The death of their chieftain was the final chapter in Shatterspear tribal history. As their former leader fell to the might of the Alliance heroes, the remnants of the tribe escaped retribution and went their separate ways. Some of these refugees found shelter within the Horde, while others joined various organizations.

Adrián Šuchta @Mordenay: Hi, some questions here: Will we ever learn what happened with Raac (Sunwell) and Castillian (Ashbringer)?
CDev Response: We certainly have not seen the last of Castillian. However, the same does not hold true for Raac. This little one always desired to stay with Anveena, but fate deemed otherwise. After Anveena sacrificed herself to aid in the downfall of Kil'jaeden, Raac vanished without a trace. One can hope that the two friends have been reunited, wherever they may be.

Emilio Martinetti @CEMOTucu: What is the original Naaru name of the ship the orcs named Oshu'gun?
CDev Response: The name of this ancient vessel was once spoken only in hushed whispers amongst the draenei. It was a bitter reminder of the near genocide their race endured from orcish hands.

Now that time has begun to heal these grievous wounds, the draenei speak of the Genedar more openly amongst their allies.

Marcus Alice @MarcusAlice: So... Terenas Tomb in Lordaeron. Who built that? Was it the Forsaken, or the Silver Hand? :3
CDev Response: The tomb of King Terenas Menethil II was not built by Lordaeron's current residents or the Silver Hand; the tomb was crafted by the ruined city's former citizens. Great were the deeds of Lordaeron's last true king, and his people risked everything to ensure that his memory would not be forgotten.

Mels @PurpleArrows: @Loreology Can I ask what the general opinion of DKs and Highborne are in night elf society? Is xenophobia still part of their culture?
CDev Response: We cannot speak for every night elf on this topic, but it is safe to assume that the night elves abhor the death knights. Their very existence is unnatural, which goes against everything kaldorei culture stands for.

As for the Highborne, these elves now must reap the consequences of their actions. Their crimes—during the War of the Ancients and their subsequent refusal to cease using arcane magic—cannot be atoned for overnight. Despite the fact that official talks to accept them back into the fold are under way, the co-leaders of the kaldorei expect many years to pass before the Highborne are truly assimilated into society.

R west @mrnerdzesq: Does Tyrande still hold enough authority over Malfurion to revert to being sole leader?
CDev Response: I'm afraid not. (Imagine that dinner conversation!) Darnassus is officially co-ruled by Malfurion and Tyrande, united with each other and with their people. A key thing to keep in mind is how their union allows them to work in tandem. These two leaders are focused on different aspects of governing their people, and this new method of governance truly suits them and the kaldorei nation as a whole.

Nathaniel Woods @Azekiel: Do half-dwarves (i.e. human and dwarven parentage) exist?
CDev Response: There are currently no half-dwarves in the lore, but anything is possible with magic!

Rui Martins @Ashendant: Is Nymph in Frost Nymph and Forest Nymph an interchangeable term with Dryad in Frost Dryad and Forest Dryad? (Does Nymph=Dryad?)
CDev Response: The term nymph is indeed interchangeable with dryad. However, there are unique characteristics affiliated with each term. To be specific, the term dryad refers to the forest entities that are a formal part of the "Cenarion family." Nymphs, on the other hand, are considered to be a wilder variation.

SparkysShocker @SparkysShocker: In lore do Warriors have an organization/guild that they group under. Like the Argent Crusade or Ravenholdt?
CDev Response: The warriors of Warcraft lore are typically associated with the armies they have pledged their weapons to, while our warrior heroes (read: the players) are "lone wolves." Someday these fearless combatants might unite under a single banner and form the world's first warrior union, but that remains to be seen.

The Chadster @killermonkey78: Can worgen reproduce naturally or only through a bite or blood? Would their child be a worgen or normal?
CDev Response: The worgen curse is exactly that: a curse. Its origins are rooted in the druidic "pack form" that was later altered by the Scythe of Elune. The end result is the worgen we see today, beings that can transmit their affliction to others via a single bite.

In theory, if two worgen were to mate and produce an offspring, that offspring would not be a worgen. The child would merely possess the genetic material of his or her parents, like any other child sans the curse.

Verroak Krasha @Arakkoa: Here's a good one: is "Kvaldir" the name for all sea vrykul, or just one of their clans besides Skadir?
CDev Response: Long ago, tribes of vrykul were scattered across ancient northern Kalimdor. One tribe in particular struggled against a terrible malaise that ravaged its people.

Combatting this affliction, this "curse of flesh," all but consumed the tribe. After exhausting all natural attempts, the tribe sought the aid of its priestesses. These women plumbed the world of spirits for answers, but they found only a malevolent entity lying in wait.

Their ritual went horribly wrong, as the entity further corrupted those that sought freedom from their curse. These eternally vengeful beings would later be called the Kvaldir.

Micky Neilson @MickyNeilson: Can you describe the difference between teleportation and portal creation?
CDev Response: Good question, Mr. New York Times Bestselling Author! In the Warcraft universe, there is an instability, and those skilled in arcane magic have learned how to exploit that instability. A comical example of this can be seen via the polymorph spell, which allows magi to turn the most bloodthirsty of foes into harmless creatures, when the spellcasters put their minds to the task.

In the case of teleportation and portal creation, magi apply their knowledge of the arcane to bend the very fabric of reality so that the distance between two points is nonexistent. I could dedicate entire tomes to explaining the process in detail, but I'll just put it this way: portal creation is an external effort to eliminate the distance between two points, whereas teleportation is an internal effort that transforms the mage into the portal itself.

It is important to note that fledgling magi are routinely cautioned against teleporting and creating portals in rapid succession. The destruction of Draenor (now known as Outland) stands as the most effective cautionary tale for these new students.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#24 - April 3, 2014, 8:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/03/2014 12:35 PMPosted by Cirno

I don't think mother and child actually share blood. Nutrients and oxygen are transported across the placental membrane but the blood itself doesn't mix.

Seems like it'd be enough to me, but I'll give it up.

Still seems stupid to me though. Where's the harm in letting worgen children be born. This just neuters (heh) the worgen, in my mind.

I'm the wrong person to ask about any lore, ever, but if it's a curse and not an infectious disease I would imagine the specifics of the curse dictate how it's transmitted.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#28 - April 3, 2014, 8:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
04/03/2014 01:09 PMPosted by Cirno
04/03/2014 01:06 PMPosted by Bashiok
I'm the wrong person to ask about any lore, ever, but if it's a curse and not an infectious disease I would imagine the specifics of the curse dictate how it's transmitted.

So in other words, worgen children should be worgen, given how we've seen it be transmitted (through blood).

Gotcha.

:D

Well. I don't know about how it's been portrayed, again, I am the worst lore person ever, but if it's a curse and not an infectious disease then the act of transmission matters, and not necessarily the substance. If the act of drinking blood transmits the curse, then the blood may not necessarily be a transmitter itself. Accidentally splashing worgen blood on an open wound, for example, may not transmit, as opposed to ingesting the blood as that could specifically be how the curse is dictated to transmit. Just a thought, anyway.