[Frozen] New traits and current Paragon.

#1 - Feb. 2, 2017, 8:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Edit: They added a new trait to preserve the 10% DMG/healing/armor and stamina lost by upgrading. Close this thread please.

Hey all.

As you know, we are getting new traits. I went ahead and tested it on the PTR, because I wanted to know what happened to our paragon if we got the AP refunded.

Long story short: You finish the quest line, your AP is refunded for all extra ranks of the paragon (I got around 50 million AP at rank 18), and now every trait with 3 ranks gets an extra one, plus three brand new traits. Pretty neat, except for one thing: the new traits start at 15 million AP each. With the AP I got refunded, I could get only 3 points.

Here's the issue: During the "upgrade" to your artifact, the paragon goes down to its base 5% extra damage. I'm assuming it's the same for healer and tank specs, so theirs go to 5% extra healing/10% extra armor (if anyone has tested this, please let me know). Assuming we have the paragon maxed, we lose 19 points overall in our artifact weapon, which means 14.25% less stamina as well. DPS specs lose 9.5% damage, healers lose 9.5% healing, and tanks lose 19% extra armor.

Now, I hope they just overlooked this, because if not, this is a huge slap to the face and overall nerf to everyone who invested on their paragon. Before you say "but you get the AP refunded!", yes, but it's not enough to compensate for the loss of almost 10% DMG/Healing or 19% armor.

Having said this, I can think of two solutions:
1.- The current paragon gets 1 rank only, and it's the same value as rank 20 (14.5% DMG/healing or 29% armor and almost 15% stamina). Upgrading your artifact to obtain the new traits makes this paragon trait baseline. The new traits remain at their current AP cost (starting at 15 million).
2.- The paragon resets to 5% DMG/Healing or 10% armor, but the new traits' cost are severely lowered so that players can instantly compensate for the damage/healing/armor loss if they had invested points on the old paragon. Also adjust base stamina each artifact rank gives so our health doesn't go down too much.

What do you guys think? I'm really hoping they will change this, because it makes no sense our artifact's "upgrade" is really a huge downgrade.
Forum Avatar
Game Producer
#69 - Feb. 8, 2017, 12:33 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Thanks for all the feedback on this thread. Per the OP's request I am going to freeze this one out. If there is further/new feedback based on the revisions please feel free to open a new thread with the feedback on the latest build after the recent revisions.