New Immortal/Undying Now on a Per Boss Basis

#0 - March 19, 2009, 8:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
It's basically like The Dedicated Few, can be done in multiple resets., but only the first attempt on each boss counts. It currently is not apart of the meta.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a225/ssba/immortal2.jpg

Keep in mind that they've been playing around with this achievement on the PTR a couple times now, so anything from this current iteration is subject to change.

Recap from Bornakk:

-2nd attempts in the same reset will not count, only first try
-Can be done over multiple resets
-Algalon is not apart of this achievement, which is intentional
-Titles: Champion of Ulduar (10 Man), Conqueror of Ulduar (25 Man)
-Naxxramas Immortal/Undying will not change, this is for Ulduar only

#29 - March 20, 2009, 5:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Confirmed, I got on again to verify, and it is in fact apart of the Meta now.

Things keep on changing on the PTR, but currently this is correct. The achievement is setup to be completed over multiple resets, but you still must have no deaths on a boss on a given week and we know that wipes include deaths.
#33 - March 20, 2009, 5:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Is this too wordy, or is there some kind of caveat that I am not getting?

If you down a boss without deaths, what difference does the 'given week' part make? Do they respawn now or something?

At present, a dead boss is dead all week.

The "given week" means you can do the new Ulduar Immortal/Undying over multiple weeks/raid resets instead of needing to do it all in 1 week like now.
#35 - March 20, 2009, 6 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If you wipe on a boss, and then get a flawless kill on the 2nd attempt, do you get the achievement?

Nope. Wipes include deaths.
#37 - March 20, 2009, 6:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
undying was easy enough to get as it is. Immortal well now thats a little more difficult - with the dang aggro reset on kel with the 20K frostbolt to highest threat... lol oh they are fixing that too>> SWEET

Keep in mind these changes are for the Ulduar version of these achievements, not the Naxxramas ones.
#44 - March 20, 2009, 6:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Is there any chance the Nax achievement can be changed in the same fashion, since the mounts are being removed anyway?

Also, the title "The Immortal" is the exact same from Nax/Ulduar anyway. Or even remove the title "The Immortal" from the Nax achievement and then change the Nax achievement to the new style.

That way everyone wins.

No plans to change the Naxx achievement. The titles for the Ulduar achievements should be different by the time the patch launches.
#51 - March 20, 2009, 6:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Oh good! Now we get to give up hard mode loot to get another immortal/undying for the meta achievement. Then when someone disconnects and dies on Freya, we get to give up hard mode loot for nothing.

Immortal/Undying is an interesting mechanic. It's fun and challenging. It also does not belong in the meta achievement for Ulduar. Naxx and the Glory of the Raider achievement are fine how they are... but Ulduar is a different story all together... It is not fun and challenging to have to take a step backwards to get an achievement - they should drive your progress forward.

Think of it this way:
How hard is it to do a 25 man sarth with no drakes up, without anyone dying after farming 3 drakes for 2 months? I'll give you a hint: We 9 manned it with 0 deaths.

You can get the hard mode on farm status and then have nobody die on it.
#59 - March 20, 2009, 6:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
So, the new Immortal/Undying is more reasonable than the current implementation on live. It's a good start, I must admit.

However, I'm a bit at a loss as to why this change cannot apply to the current tier if it was deemed unreasonable enough to warrant a redesign for the next tier. Heck, it could be done under the condition that the drakes are still removed in the patch. In other words, you have till the patch to get the meta done, including the redesigned Immortal... then after that, it's gone for good.

Given that we only have so many weeks before the patch is out, I think this would be completely fair for those who worked to get every other achievement but were unable to get Immortal for one reason or another (let's go with latency, disconnects, various issues with KT in regards to MC, etc).

Is this too much to ask for, Mr. Bornakk?

Making a patch for this achievement is asking too much, yes. The Naxxramas achievements were designed with their current version of immortal in mind and now the Ulduar ones are made their the new version in mind so we are fine with how each one is working.
#64 - March 20, 2009, 7:18 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
To clarify, wasn't asking for a patch, so much as a hotfix, but ok, I suppose I can see things from your perspective. Guess it's going to be a fun few weeks for us in Naxx again. :P

Edit: BTW, I don't suppose Blizz has reconsidered the possibility of straight up removing The Immortal from the meta, have they? For the current tier, of course.

Hotfixes aren't super easy to do and I don't think it is really needed in this situation. The current Naxx achievements are designed with one version of Immortal in mind, we are fine with the way it is working and players are able to complete it. We are making improvements in Ulduar as we aim to continue making improvements in the game.
#65 - March 20, 2009, 7:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Shouldn't the new Immortal also require Algalon the Observer without dying?

He is not part of this achievement and that is intentional.
#73 - March 20, 2009, 8:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I'm glad to hear that this change is being made in Ulduar's Immortal.

I know Bornakk liked the old immortal though, or acted like it, poor guy probably needs a hug and a beer.

I suppose that's regardless of the achievement change though.

So far as back tracking and changing the achievement for old content goes; I really think we had all better just accept that its better that development and patch time be spent on new stuff rather than the old.

One last thing, anyone who still thinks our feedback isn't listened to can pretty much...

Beer and hug, sure, see you at BlizzCon? :)

And yes, we do listen to feedback.