REMOVE Waylay (Survival Hunter)

#1 - Nov. 23, 2016, 9:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Highly rated Survival Hunter post? That's how you know, YOU SCREWED UP.

We got a blue, cool... still not fixed.

And don't nerf the CD on traps, seriously.
^ We need improved traps BACK NOW!!! ^

I got my behind onto the PTR because I was so concerned over what they're doing to SV, and I wasn't wrong to do so.

Aside from Waylay not functioning properly AT ALL (traps do not need arm time, only need to be out of combat. Probably not intended, but concerning) it's probably the most CLUNKY thing I've ever seen. It's not fun, it's not interesting, and it's straight up entirely frustrating. Especially to the upcoming nerf on trap CDs, assuming because of this horrible, stupid design choice. Who's going to move a boss in a raid just for my extra damage? Trying to anticipate when bosses move? Well guess what, some bosses don't even move. There's wasted DPS, especially since the trap CD nerf.. no buff to compensate.

Please, just REMOVE Waylay and buff traps, keep our CDs low to keep traps feeling special... you don't need this horrid mish-mash amalgamation of an idea to keep it feeling special. It felt as if we already were the trap masters, as we had extra traps & trap talents (by the way, why in the hell is Improved Traps being removed? That's an even bigger damage nerf.) this isn't necessary.

It's not interesting, it's not fun, and it's a damage nerf, especially in raids. Where we already get kicked and crapped on enough for our spec.

Please, please, please remove Waylay and keep SV as is. It's ENTIRELY useless.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SURVIVALISTS DO NOT WANT WAYLAY!!
11/23/2016 03:11 PMPosted by Kaeles
Just read through these changes.

Right when I accept the Survival masterrace, they obliterate it in the next patch.

Not pleased to say the least.

11/23/2016 10:51 PMPosted by Yoodle
10000000000000% Agree..

It's just infinitely lazy design, and the team responsible for survival hunters lore can only be creatively bankrupt.

11/24/2016 02:19 AMPosted by Musahar
Waylay looks awful. The new trap direction looks awful. Not one aspect of it seems fun or engaging. Class fantasy is fine, I love the new survival hunter. Favorite spec by a mile.

11/24/2016 02:05 PMPosted by Momoring
Waylay is just more proof that the concept of a master trapper being melee is just clueless. It sounds like a mechanic designed to be used at range. Placing traps between you and a target and then pulling from a distance after they empower makes much more sense than harpooning yourself and then backpedaling.

11/24/2016 01:06 PMPosted by Zonjo
Blizzard, please just take waylay, throw it in the trash can where it belongs. It's kind of cool idea but not practical, not fun, and please don't try to make it work by getting rid of the out of combat portion of it, NO ONE WANTS IT.

11/24/2016 04:36 PMPosted by Angarato
please for the love of !@#$ get rid of %^-*ing waylay and change back survivals trap cd. instead of this horrible !@#$ give use healing shell for our damn turtle shell. survival is the only spec that doesnt get healed during turtle. this isnt an absurd request blizzard cmon now.

waylay is horrible for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. i much rather have wild protector or perhaps a stun on fury of the eagle to make it almost as useful as a monk's baseline ability with 1/3rd the cooldown as ours.

11/24/2016 06:29 PMPosted by Onamah
Do blues read the PTR forum? This needs to be heard, our spec doesn't need to be worse than it already is, it actually can't get worse. From a design standpoint, this change doesn't even function, so just save your time and get rid of it. Make master trapper baseline and revamp our level 100 talents.

Do not implement waylay on live servers. Don't do it. Not a single player wants this.

11/24/2016 08:04 PMPosted by Angarato
please listen to your community blizzard. i think its the first time in recorded history that both pve and pvp players agree on something.

message loud and clear. we dont want waylay, it is absolute garbage in both pve and pvp and most of all, its just not fun to use. its clunky, awkward, slow paced and has too many factors for failure.

11/25/2016 06:49 AMPosted by Rélik
Waylay is a "good on paper", but useless in application. I appreciate the effort in trying to come up with something, but please do not do this. It's OK if we're not the only trap kids. Just please fix our other issues.

11/25/2016 07:18 AMPosted by Nessfalco
Waylay is absolutely useless. Just make expert trapper and/or improved traps baseline and replace those talents. That will more than take care of making survival traps feel unique.

I'D PUT MORE QUOTES HERE, BUT I RAN OUT OF ROOM. WE DON'T WANT IT, GET RID OF IT!!
#184 - Dec. 1, 2016, 7:59 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Sorry for the delay in replying to this. Long story short, we agree with the concerns laid out in this thread: Waylay as a damage mechanic isn’t playing well, and the increased trap cooldown is a nerf that undermines other utility upgrades. We’ve been discussing exactly what we want to do about it, and can share some details:

For starters, the Trap cooldown is going back to a baseline of 30 seconds, just like it is in Patch 7.1. We had initially increased it to 40 based on some concerns that Hunter crowd control might end up too powerful in some situations, but after further consideration, we don’t think that’ll be necessary.

Regarding Waylay, the original intent of the passive was to reinforce Survival’s niche as trap experts (especially with other Hunter specializations getting traps again) by rewarding clever placement of traps when you’re able to anticipate your enemy’s movement. After all, the very nature of a trap is a hazard set ahead of time for an unsuspecting victim, whereas traps today often end up feeling more like lobbed explosives. However, in group gameplay, the movement of your targets is largely outside of your direct control, and any sort of rotational damage benefit of Waylay is likely to be far more frustrating than fun. We’re going to remove the damage-increasing benefit that Waylay provided to Explosive Trap and let its bonuses focus purely on utility. With the Freezing Trap and Tar Trap cooldown now unchanged, this makes Waylay simply a new utility perk over what Survival has on live, and we’re excited about some of the potential ways Hunters can make use of it in both PvE and PvP.

As an aside (and this is relevant to all classes and specs), part of our goal to keep patches coming at a steady pace in Legion means that you’re likely to see more half-completed ideas and strange experiments on PTR than even veteran testers might be used to in previous expansions. Just because a change shows up in a PTR build does not mean that it’s something the team views as a final design (or even a design we’re necessarily happy with). This has been especially true with 7.1.5, and we’ve done a poor job of communicating that thus far. We’d like to apologize for that failing, and it’s something we’re actively working to correct.