Un-able to verify "Common-2.MPQ"

#0 - Aug. 28, 2010, 10:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hello, i'm trying to download Wrath of the Lich King for my new laptop, but whenever I try to, I get to around 10% and it comes up with this error:

An error was detected while verifying the contents of the file "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Data\common.MPQ". There may be a problem with your system, or with the drive at C:\. You can attempt to install again. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support.

Any suggestions what to do?

I run on Windows 7 Ultimate.
#3 - Aug. 29, 2010, 11:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Are you using the installation DVD or web downloader?

If it's a DVD, try copying the files onto your hard drive and installing from there. You can also try the web downloader instead:
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/downloads/client/

Make sure to remove your temporary files before each installation attempt:

- Click Start and then Run (if using Vista/7, Click Start and then the search area)
- Type %temp% in the Run/Search box
- Delete the contents of the Windows temporary folder that is displayed

Before reinstalling the game, please also check the following location: C:\Program Files\Common Files\ (or C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Blizzard Entertainment\ in Windows Vista/7). If you can see a folder named Blizzard Entertainment, delete it.
#7 - Aug. 30, 2010, 10:28 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Did you get the same error with the web downloader as well?

Make sure to remove the installation folder (C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\) before each attempt too.