Farewell, Blizzard.

#1 - Dec. 28, 2015, 10:31 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Browsing around on my laptop when a thought hit me that really caught me by surprise: I won't be purchasing Legion.

For the first time in the history of the game, I have absolutely no desire to purchase the next expansion. The usual pre-expansion feelings of anticipation, excitement and wonder have been thoroughly replaced with feelings of complete disinterest due to losing all faith in Blizzard as a game production studio.

I watched as those who made the amazing game that captivated millions and broke nearly ever gaming record to date get replaced by a generation of game developers who grew up calling Angry Birds and Farmville engrossing and compelling games. This lead to so many things being cut, dumbed downed or outright removed from the game that the only thing the game has in common with its former self is the title.

With my disinterest in WoW coming to a head with WoD--my final nail in the coffin, I moved over to another Blizzard product, Hearthstone. I had heard that some of the original developers of the WoW I feel in love with were a part of HS's creation, so I figured I'd give it a try. After only a handful of games, I was hooked.

A simple card game with enough strategy and complexity to provide unlimited replay value. But, much to my dismay, as more expansions and adventures were released to Hearthstone, I was seeing the exact same trend taking place: it looked as though the original development team handed the game over to a bunch of young interns whose idea of compelling gameplay is limited to what they grew up playing on Facebook.

I've held Blizzard in the highest regard for so many years that it's actually kind of disappointing to realize that the current Blizzard is now no better than the cash grab studios that focus on pumping out mindless mobile games with the sole purpose of short-term profit. What was once the absolute cutting edge, genre-defining powerhouse that was Blizzard Entertainment, is now nothing but a memory.

I thank you for the fun you provided me over the years, and while I may try a game of Hearthstone here and there in the future or mess around in some pre-legion dungeons in WoW, I know I will never spend another cent on a Blizzard product. Not because I'm trying to stomp my feet and throw a tantrum, but because I genuinely feel that the products being produced are no longer worth my money.

It's a damned shame to see the fall of a once legendary gaming studio, but it is what it is and it's time to put my money elsewhere.

Farewell, Blizzard.
Forum Avatar
Community Manager
#379 - Oct. 31, 2016, 9:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
That's a necro, yep.

Closing.