Patch 4.0.0 "could not be renamed " error

#0 - Oct. 13, 2010, 3:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi, i'm having the folow error report, and since the only topics i found here are to hold (pre wolk) i'm posting a new one:

Blizzard Updater

Instalation stopped.

The file "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\WowError.exe" could not be renamed to "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\WowError.exe.Trash". If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (ConflictManager::ResolveConflicts/3)
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

This appens at the end of the instalation.
I tried to manual change the file name and "Repair" after, but it didn't worked.
And i'm working with Vista.
#16 - Oct. 14, 2010, 8:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
OK so this is my issue...I click and the download starts fine, then the updater pops up and gets to 98% stops and I get this message:

The file "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Blizzard Updater.exe" could not be renamed to "C:\Users\Public\Games\World of Warcraft\Blizzard Updater.exe.Trash". If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (ConflictManager::ResolveConflicts/3)
To check this installation for problems, click the "Repair" button. The Repair tool can automatically fix many update errors.

I've tried to run the repair which didn't work and I've spent all day today with the help of more computer savvy friends trying to sort out a problem which I believe shouldn't be mine.

The only blue posts I've seen don't give me any idea how to go about fixing the problem I have, and as I'm not good at ALL with computers and the jargon that the blues have listed I don't have a clue on how to get WoW up and running again.

Is there anyone else out there that are having/had the same problem? If so, please answer this post to give me an idea how I go about fixing this. I'm also working on Window's Vista.

Thanks

Oh and just to add I've also tried filling out the Blizzard Support form detailing the problem I've got. I get to the bottom to click submit and can't even send that off. To say I'm getting a tad annoyed is an understatement...

I'm STILL waiting for a response....Come on Blizzard get something sorted already...

Your having a permissions problem in that you don't have the rights to acces the file you are trying to patch, this could be in part due to the UAC if your using Windows Vista / 7 and in most cases if you are logged in as the administrator, right-clicking on the shortcut and/or the launcher.exe file and selecting "Run as Administrator" should give the game the needed rights to update what it needs to.

Outside of that it could be due to security software installed blocking access to that file, disabling your security software may help, however if it does not try booting the computer into safemode with networking and attempt to install the patch again.