Help
Regional FlagWarrior Tank Build 12857 - FeedbackSource
Matik
Target Source
#0 - 2010/09/05 10:25:12 AM
I've been tanking A LOT of dungeons since 12857 hit, and have pretty much acquired all ilvl 333 gear that can drop for me. I've played a Warrior tank in BC + WotLK extensively, so I just want to provide some points and feedback on how Warrior Tanks look so far.

1.) DPS - A lot of our low DPS problems we had from WotLK seem solved or much better. Damage logs are showing me at usually 4-5k DPS, depending on my vengeance stacks and the amount of times I crit. My shield slam can crit close to 40k if I have Inner Rage, Hold the Line, Full Vengeance stacks, and Shield Block procced. My other abilites hit for around 5k or so average.

2.) Single Target Aggro - Single target aggro seems a little wonky compared to WotLK. I'm not sure if the intention in this expansion is for aggro to mean more, but it definitely feels a lot harder to hold aggro on single targets. Shield Slam is my hardest hitting ability, it hits for usually 2-3x more than devastate, revenge, and heroic strike. If that ability misses, or if I lack enough free Shield Slam procs, I find myself losing aggro to hard hitting DPS.

3.) AoE Aggro - It's still a problem. The rend spread mechanic just doesn't feel right. The fact that you have to apply rend and THEN use Tclap just makes things more annoying for initial aggro. Sustained AoE aggro is definitely improved a bit, thanks to bigger Shockwaves, but the initial pull really needs to be improved. Perhaps Tclap can cause Rend on the targets it hits? Or have the talent improve the amount of threat generated by Rend? Regardless of what happens, what I usually have to do with 3+ targets is:

Shockwave > Rend one target > Tclap.

The initial aggro is weak because Shockwave damage has no stacks from the talents. This results in me tab targetting mobs to generate more aggro.

4.) New Heroic Strike/Cleave - I'm loving it, it definitely feels much better than spamming HS in WotLK. I especially like how it's off the global cooldown, thank you for that.

5.) Inner Rage - This seems to proc for me ALL the time, and I'm not trying to have it proc. The amount of damage mobs do in the lvl 85 instances seems to be the main cause. I'm not sure if this is intended or not.

6.) Enraged Regeneration - Since Protection no longer has an auto-enrage talent, this ability is a little more annoying to get off. I always use it in conjunction with Last Stand, but now I have to pop Berserk Rage first before using this spell, costing me a GCD. It feels antiquated, an enrage effect shouldn't be necessary.

7.) Heroic Leap - I can't really find a good use for this spell. With it's long cooldown, and the fact that we can charge in combat, I don't see it's purpose. Maybe it's a pure PvP talent and not designed for PvE uses?

8.) Mastery/Critical Block. Not much to say expect so far I am enjoying it's use so far. It definitely feels nice to see some actual mitigation happening when we block attacks.

9.) Spell Reflection - In my opinion, this ability is a little TOO good. I think reducing the cooldown from 10 to 7 seconds just made this spell way too powerful in it's own right. Against caster mobs and bosses, I can usually reflect every other spell they cast. I can also see some PvP implications.

10.) Amount of Damage Taken - Probably a little early to comment on this, though I wanted to give some rough numbers. I'm currently sitting at 99k health or so fully buffed (Fort, Kings). I have around 7-8% dodge, 7-8% parry, and 30% Block. Bosses typically hit me for 15-20k unmitigated damage. Healers usually don't have a problem keeping me up, although they are spamming their heals quite frequently. I feel like I have very good survivability.

11.) Vigilance - The new Vigilance seems like a good idea in 10/25 man raids. Stick it on the other tank, he'll take less damage and you'll gain more Vengeance. However, in 5 man instances, I feel like this ability is rather worthless. I miss the threat it used to transfer.

OVERALL - I really like the direction that the Warrior Prot tree is going. A lot of it feels similar to WotLK, which is good because we didn't have many problems to begin with. I'm so far very much enjoying tanking, and can't wait for heroic instances and raids.

Feel free to provide your own feedback.

Blue Poster
Target Source
#17 - 2010/09/07 02:45:34 AM
Q u o t e:
10.) Amount of Damage Taken - Probably a little early to comment on this, though I wanted to give some rough numbers. I'm currently sitting at 99k health or so fully buffed (Fort, Kings). I have around 7-8% dodge, 7-8% parry, and 30% Block. Bosses typically hit me for 15-20k unmitigated damage. Healers usually don't have a problem keeping me up, although they are spamming their heals quite frequently. I feel like I have very good survivability.

Matik, so that I don't have to go look it up, would you mind telling me your armor?