Help
Regional FlagPaladin Tanking Video - Thoughts Concerns EtcSource
Towelliee
Target Source
#0 - 2010/09/20 10:17:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcgOWIqgFnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLI8KlprSZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYMwPD4Nuu0 -- Good video if anyone wants to learn more about single target tanking.

My Suggestions :

- increase the damage of Hammer of the RIghteous
- either lower the cooldown of Consecration or Holy Wrath, I feel like a DK waiting for DnD
- Make Word of Glory either a proc or a cooldown for any over healing done over a period of time is absorbed damage.

Blue Poster
Target Source
#11 - 2010/09/21 07:25:07 AM
Q u o t e:
So what do we do when we need to AE tank and do not have Inquisition?

You do what level 15 warrior tanks do who don't have Sunder Armor yet. You make do.

We don't spend a great deal of effort balancing the dungeons at levels below max level. We compensate for that by making them pretty easy. You didn't see a lot of tanks posting about how hard Utgarde Keep was at 80 or how hard Hellfire Ramparts was at 70 and I doubt you'll see many paladins complaining about how hard tanking is when they are 82 or whatever.

The level 85 dungeons and to a greater extent the heroics and raids are more tightly balanced because we want them to be more challenging.

If you're having trouble on the PTR with level up dungeons, it's probably because the content isn't finished yet.

Blue Poster
Target Source
#12 - 2010/09/21 07:26:44 AM
Q u o t e:
Oh yea, and before I go. You need to learn how to actually design a class and role. Basing a large portion of threat around a chance to occur is extremely poor game design. Especially when you're trying to base a fight on that person's ability to preform said role to a make or break point. "Oh the DPS pulled agro, why? Oh because the tank just got unlucky with their AS procs, again, for the 4th time in a row. Oh well". That statement is hardly acceptable in a raiding environment.

Do us all a favor, and actually play the game you design.

Hope you enjoyed your contribution to the beta, because it has come to an end.

Blue Poster
Target Source
#34 - 2010/09/21 09:53:47 PM
Q u o t e:
I'm assuming you meant 70 and 60 respectively?

Oh, yeah. Sorry. :(

Q u o t e:
I am quite sure I read that tank weapons in cata will have 2.6 speed. How many of those that are complain about dmg on "Hammer of the RIghteous" and "Crusader Strike", have switched to a slow dps weapon (or new tank weapon).
Both those abilities are based on weapon dmg.

It's also highly possible that the abilities just aren't tuned right yet. If you have a reasonable idea how to tank and are feeling that AE tanking is nail-bitingly difficult to generate enough threat, then it's probably just undertuned. We want tanks to have to actually push their buttons and not just autoattack their way to high threat, but it shouldn't be so tight that a hot tick risks pulling aggro.

We recently consolidated a lot of janky threat mods that were on a lot of different abilities into core abilities like Righteous Fury and Defensive Stance. For example, warriors used to have a threat reduction modifier on Battle and Berseker Stance. We took that away and increased Defensive Stance's threat to compensate. You may be seeing data from in the midst of all of those changes.