Help
Regional Flag[Feedback] Leveling Curve: 80-83Source
Notrobotron
Target Source
#0 - 2010/08/06 11:30:07 PM
Having leveled many characters both on live (6 level 80s on live, 3 more 70+) and Beta (80-83 on my Heroic ICC25 geared rogue and 1-83 on this guy), I'd like to apply my understanding to giving an opinion on the leveling curve so far.

The zones appear to take anywhere from 4-7 hours to complete, doing every quest, depending on the player's experience with the zone as well as gear and questing pace.

This is perfect, I'd say. The feedback is about the amount of EXP required for leveling and the EXP you get per zone.

When I leveled my rogue, I ended up having to do both Hyjal and Vashj'ir in order to hit 82. This "problem" is obviously solved since this was back in the old leveling model, which required ~7.4 million EXP to go from 80-82 as opposed to the 3.38 million needed today. Each zone appears to yield roughly 4 million EXP if you don't skip anything and have minimal rested EXP.

On my Goblin, I ended Hyjal about 1 bar into 82 with 4-5 bars of rested. This was pretty good, since it allowed you to gain 2 levels in accordance with the intended leveling model and even gave you a bit of breathing room so you weren't forced to do 100% of the zone. I did every quest except The Firelord, which is still buggy (no surprises here).

This brings me to Deepholm. Back in the older leveling model, you needed around 5.4 million EXP to go from 82-83. Now you need another full million. Despite being a full bar in with at least 4-5 rested bars, after doing every quest in Deepholm, including a batch of 5 Daily quests, I was still half a bar short of hitting 83 (I was 1.5 bars short before the Daily quests).

This is where I take issue. I ended up having to either do a dungeon or some quests in Vashj'ir in order to hit 83. I can see this being a potential problem because despite strip mining Deepholm of its quests, with substantial rested EXP, I was still unable to gain even one level in the zone. I do agree that because of Cataclysm's leveling model (6 zones, 5 levels), the first zone should be worth 2 levels (since you can do Hyjal or Vashj'ir, much like Fjord or Tundra), while the other 5 zones being worth one level each, thus giving you 2 optional zones out of the batch (I'm assuming that Tol Barad is an 84-85 zone to give you the Icecrown/Storm Peaks option for your home stretch).

I think that each of the zones following Hyjal/Vashj'ir should be worth a full level of non-rested EXP each, because if I assume correctly, Uldum will require level 83 to enter. The only way to get to 83 on the Beta currently without a large amount of rested will be to either grind mobs, go to a supposedly "optional" zone to supplement the missing EXP, or run a dungeon or two.

While this does seem very nit-picky, I figured that since Blizzard has already begun tweaking the numbers on the current leveling curve, it would be at least worth the time to write.

TL;DR levels 80-82 are fine, PERHAPS 50-100k EXP too fast, level 82-83 is about 1 million EXP too long. No comment on 83-84 (seems to be 100-150k more than the previous level, so 84-85 will probably around 6.7 or 6.6 million assuming the curve is linear), since we haven't gotten a look at the higher level mob/quest EXP/quantity in the new zones yet.

Blue Poster
Target Source
#1 - 2010/08/07 12:24:05 AM
Q u o t e:
Having leveled many characters both on live (6 level 80s on live, 3 more 70+) and Beta (80-83 on my Heroic ICC25 geared rogue and 1-83 on this guy), I'd like to apply my understanding to giving an opinion on the leveling curve so far.

The zones appear to take anywhere from 4-7 hours to complete, doing every quest, depending on the player's experience with the zone as well as gear and questing pace.

This is perfect, I'd say. The feedback is about the amount of EXP required for leveling and the EXP you get per zone.

When I leveled my rogue, I ended up having to do both Hyjal and Vashj'ir in order to hit 82. This "problem" is obviously solved since this was back in the old leveling model, which required ~7.4 million EXP to go from 80-82 as opposed to the 3.38 million needed today. Each zone appears to yield roughly 4 million EXP if you don't skip anything and have minimal rested EXP.

On my Goblin, I ended Hyjal about 1 bar into 82 with 4-5 bars of rested. This was pretty good, since it allowed you to gain 2 levels in accordance with the intended leveling model and even gave you a bit of breathing room so you weren't forced to do 100% of the zone. I did every quest except The Firelord, which is still buggy (no surprises here).

This brings me to Deepholm. Back in the older leveling model, you needed around 5.4 million EXP to go from 82-83. Now you need another full million. Despite being a full bar in with at least 4-5 rested bars, after doing every quest in Deepholm, including a batch of 5 Daily quests, I was still half a bar short of hitting 83 (I was 1.5 bars short before the Daily quests).

This is where I take issue. I ended up having to either do a dungeon or some quests in Vashj'ir in order to hit 83. I can see this being a potential problem because despite strip mining Deepholm of its quests, with substantial rested EXP, I was still unable to gain even one level in the zone. I do agree that because of Cataclysm's leveling model (6 zones, 5 levels), the first zone should be worth 2 levels (since you can do Hyjal or Vashj'ir, much like Fjord or Tundra), while the other 5 zones being worth one level each, thus giving you 2 optional zones out of the batch (I'm assuming that Tol Barad is an 84-85 zone to give you the Icecrown/Storm Peaks option for your home stretch).

I think that each of the zones following Hyjal/Vashj'ir should be worth a full level of non-rested EXP each, because if I assume correctly, Uldum will require level 83 to enter. The only way to get to 83 on the Beta currently without a large amount of rested will be to either grind mobs, go to a supposedly "optional" zone to supplement the missing EXP, or run a dungeon or two.

While this does seem very nit-picky, I figured that since Blizzard has already begun tweaking the numbers on the current leveling curve, it would be at least worth the time to write.

TL;DR levels 80-82 are fine, PERHAPS 50-100k EXP too fast, level 82-83 is about 1 million EXP too long. No comment on 83-84 (seems to be 100-150k more than the previous level, so 84-85 will probably around 6.7 or 6.6 million assuming the curve is linear), since we haven't gotten a look at the higher level mob/quest EXP/quantity in the new zones yet.

Deepholm will take you to a little over 83 once all the knobs are turned. Things might still be a little too tight right now.