#0 - 2010/09/02 09:09:39 PMUnskippable cutscenes are an awful game design. It's something anyone who got stuck watching any unskippable cutscenes they're already seen can attest to. Imagine for a moment, if you had to watch the whole Wrathgate cinematic every time you turned in that quest, or if you had the watch the *ENTIRE* Lich King cinematic every time you killed him. You can bet people would Alt-F4 out of the game in order to save themselves some braincells. Seriously, unskippable cutscenes is something I expect from terrible designers, not from Blizzard. Right now there's already a bunch of them in Uldum, this needs to change, I don't feel like clawing my eyes out once I go through the zone again.
And to add to my argument, unskippable cutscenes are on par with:
- Having a button to fastforward through dialogue, but the fastforward button is the same one that accepts dialogue choices (think Mass Effect or that god damn owl from Zelda).
- Being forced to go through a lengthy tutorial every time you go through the game, or every time you get a new ability. Bonus "awful" points if the tutorial is the same for easy mode as it is for the unlocked super hard mode.
- Not having a quicksave or autosave feature for lengthy maps/scenarios/games. Bonus "awful" if you can have as many different saves as you want in the first place.
- Money shops for free to play games where you can pay real money to get huge advantages over other players.
- Illusion of choice (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ButThouMust)