A Constructive List of Warrior Concerns

#0 - Dec. 28, 2006, 2:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Revised some of the wording as of 12/28/06 3:21pm
Added a 4th Rage Mechanic part. More of a question than anything.
1/4/07 - Added 2 links over to the EU forums. First one is right below and the second one is in the talents section at the very end. Second one obviously looks at our talents.
Added the tidbit I posted about range at the top of page 34 (assuming no post get deleted)

EU Warrior Forum post concerning this thread, since their input is equally as important as ours:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html;jsessionid=B1EF4BE2CE6F8C87A7475AC210A62884.forum03?topicId=104600725&sid=1
(Sorry to any other official WoW forum which talks of this thread, but I only know the EU's address and their page and forums are in English.)

Rage Mechanics
Dealing damage to gain rage is fine, a bit more linear and comparable to a rogues energy now more than ever since gear hardly changes our rage generation by more than a couple points. There is still some problems with it.

1) Shields - PW:S and other shields of the nature give us no rage even if damage is required to break through the shield. There's really no reason for it to be this way. Shields like the paladin shield where the player is immuned is fine, but shields that require a player to break through them by use of damage should generate rage for that damage.

2) Our Armor - as our damage mitigation through armor increases, the amount of rage we gain decreases. Until recently, simply upgrading our weapons would restore the rage loss, but with the rage normalization, this form of compensation was removed. Rage gained through taking damage should be normalized so that it's based off the unmitigated damage rather than the mitigated damage so that gear does not become a hindrance to our tanking ability.

3) Two-Handed Weapons - With the new formula, the difference between a 2h'er and a 1h'er gaining rage is a problem as 2h'ers are being considered more powerful, yet slower versions of a 1h'er instead of their own weapon type. 2h'ers are finding the rage change to be very detrimental, while 1h'ers, both shield and dual-wield haven't seen much of a change. A boost to 2h rage should be looked into as a way of creating more viable talent builds and to bring 2h Fury back up to par with what it used to be.

4) Damage DoTs - Might not have been the first time said, but a recent post by Gena from the Hyjal server made a thread concerning DoTs that deal damage to us. As it stands, most (if any) DoTs do not generate rage. This could be a possible alternative to us not generating rage off of damage shield at the very least.

PvP Combat
So we require a pocket healer to PvP. The problem is the pocket healer doesn't require us to PvP and they are finding themselves to be doing better with other classes that require less babysitting. Classes with range are exceeding the damage we are able to do when we're in range, while also having more survivability than what is presumed to be the class who is based around survivability.

Range vs Melee Question: Why are ranged classes given higher DPS, more crowd controls, and more escape methods than classes who are melee? When a class contains all three of these attributes, they control majority of what happens on the battlefield. They can nuke a person to death, CC the people near them, escape and repeat until their mana is depleted. Should the melee that lack crowd controls and escape methods not have more DPS to create a reason for giving ranged more CC and escape? Or should the melee not be give their own CC and escape methods to make up for the lack of DPS they have?

One would argue that a warrior is the most survivable class and use plated armor as their reasoning. The problem with that argument is that the majority of the damage in WoW is elemental damage rather than physical damage. Casters would obviously love plate armor, but on the flip side, melee would obviously love to have all of their CC abilities. Another argument is about mana vs energy/rage, but the mana pools are far too great in most situations to be considered a limiting factor and in the situation where it would be (Alterac Valley), there's enough mobility to remove yourself from combat and recharge without interference from the opposition.

Protecting the Casters Question: If our goal in PvP is to protect the casters, then why does the warrior class lack the utilities required to take the damage in place of the caster? Should we not be give more abilities like that of Intervene that allow us to take the damage trying to be dealt to the healer? If warriors are required to have a "pocket healer", there needs to be a reason for the healer to want to group with us. We need a way to take the damage they would otherwise be taking or else we are an inconvenience since our survivability is less than a ranged class and our DPS is both lower than ranged and requires us to be in range to do.

There are a number of ways to solve the ranged vs melee issues and some of them are as followed:
1) 3-5 minute cooldown ability that breaks a certain type of CC effect and granting immunity to that effect for a short time.
2) Changing Intercept so that it can break roots. With it being on a 30 second timer with the ability to lower it some, still costing rage, still requiring Berserker Stance, and still having a min/max distance, it's hard to see how this could really be overpowered and honestly needs to be tested in the game by players before being thrown out.

However, if the goal is to make warriors more like tanks, then we need new abilities that promote this concept. In DAoC there was an ability that as long as you were within range, you would block melee attacks on the a selected player. An ability like this could be adjusted to fit WoW so that it would not mitigate all the damage, but a portion of both physical and magic damage, effectively giving healers a reason to want to bring a class who lacks the damage output of others.

Simply put, we lack utility and require far too much babysitting to become even close to as useful as a class that is self-sufficient with more dps or utility. Other classes do not want to deal with a class that cannot pull it's own weigh.

Something else to think about for the pocket healer argument is this:

A warrior doing damage with a pocket healer means the healer is within 40 yards.
A ranged class doing damage with a pocket healer means the healer is within 80 yards.

Healers in general are overall safer with a ranged class for the simple fact they are further away from the battle if they choose to heal. We seem to always find ourselves thinking strictly damage output numbers and not so much about the additive nature of ranged distance for a ranged class and a healer. The further the healer is from the battle, the safer they are in most cases.

PvE Tanking
By now, it's no shock to anyone that warriors are not scaling in threat like that of druids and paladins. Obviously this was not intended and changes should be made. Some changing of the threat mechanics are in order and that is beyond a players ability to decide on how it should be done. Simply changes that would help multi-mob tanking however can be suggested and it gets no simpler than changing Thunderclap to cost a bit less and be usable in defensive stance.

PvE DPS
Hardly much of a concern if our tanking is fixed to bring us back in line. For the most part it's fine.

Talents
As far as new talents, Endless Rage = band aid. Rampage = pain in the butt version of Battle Shout. Devastate = awesome idea, but it's current threat values are low. Personal suggestion on this is to also make the extra threat only in Battle and Defensive stance, so that it's a more viable DPS ability when used in Berserker stance.

We really do need a true talent review or just sweeping changes like that other classes saw. Too many talents are considered useless or just fillers and we're still WAY too reliant on our 31 pt talents. Abilities like Imp Demo Shout and Imp Battle Shout should of been merged, Bloodcraze should of been buffed to a higher percent, and the reliance on 31 pt abilities removed (make them lower on the tree so we can have all 3, but link the timers is suggested). Other abilities like Imp Taunt, Imp Revenge, and Imp Disarm aren't very useful for tanking anything past a 5 man and you really don't have a need for them in there as well. For instance, Imp Taunt should reduce the cooldown of both Taunt and Challenging Shout.

Just too many useless and filler talents that other classes have, but not to the same extent as us. See Tendris' post (#6) below mine for concerns about talents.

HellCry's post on the EU forums concerning talents:
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=85348858&sid=1&pageNo=1

Conclusion
This is just a short summary of things I've read on the forums and experienced in the game. Take what you will of these concerns, but none the less, these are the problems we have faced since the original game hit the shelves. It would be nice to have a proper review for a change that does what it did for other classes. It's a shame it took two years for our problems with Imp Thunderclap and Tactical Mastery to be dealt with and it doesn't need to be another 2 years for the rest of these problems to be dealt with. You have a place to start, so please listen to our pleas for a change and give this class the same treatment other classes have seen.

For other post, ones that put more emphasis on areas, check out these post on this thread:
Page 1 - #18 - Post by Jonthrei - Does a decent job describing class roles in PvP.
Page 4 - #75 - Post by Xosa - DO NOT SKIP THIS POST! One of the best yet.
Page 8 - #157 - Post by Flapjack - Adds valid points.

#2 - Dec. 28, 2006, 2:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I’ll reply to what points I can at the moment. However, I would like to submit this thread in full to the devs. I’ve cleaned up the thread a bit to consolidate information as much as I can.

Anyways,

Q u o t e:
1) Shields - PW:S and other shields of the nature give us no rage even if damage is required to break through the shield.

This has been brought up before. Basically it is a philosophy decision for the devs. Absorbed damage is not damage dealt to the enemy, so no rage is gained. I can redress this in the context you are suggesting, but they might be firm in their belief of having it work this way.
Q u o t e:
2) Our Armor - as our damage mitigation through armor increases, the amount of rage we gain decreases. Until recently, simply upgrading our weapons would restore the rage loss, but with the rage normalization, this form of compensation was removed. Rage gained through taking damage should be normalized so that it's based off the unmitigated damage rather than the mitigated damage so that gear does not become a hindrance to our tanking ability.

Interesting point. Was wondering if you might want to clarify part of that for me: *snip* “but with the rage normalization, this form of compensation was removed.” So, are you saying that upgrading your weapon completely removes an option for increasing rage generation? I can see how increasingly higher-end weapons are going to see more and more effect from normalization, but are you saying that rage generation is at a halt with weapon upgrades?
Q u o t e:
3) Two-Handed Weapons - With the new formula, the difference between a 2h'er and a 1h'er gaining rage is a problem as 2h'ers are being considered more powerful, yet slower versions of a 1h'er instead of their own weapon type.

I feel like I might have mentioned this to the devs before, but can’t quite recall. At any rate, this is a good example of concise feedback that I can easily transmit to the devs.
Q u o t e:
So we require a pocket healer to PvP.

If a warrior wishes to consistently win PvP encounters of varying degree, they require one simple thing which the class is designed to be short on: healing. Because the warrior generally has no healing designed into the class, this basically puts a “countdown timer” on a warriors continued existence in a battleground. Compared to a healing class, long-term existence in a BG is on average less, resulting in the player seeing more deaths. That seems to me to be a big frustration point for many who are talking about warriors in PvP, because the organized groups have that taken care of by taking the obvious step of team play, but PUGs won’t see that behavior as much due to more “independent” game play. To adjust this for your average PUGger, you either have to increase damage mitigation or increase healing potential through regeneration or what not. I think the devs are more inclined to the former, seeing as they added some spell damage mitigation and what not through talents.
Q u o t e:
Range vs Melee Question: Why are ranged classes given higher DPS, more crowd controls, and more escape methods than classes who are melee?

Because there is a PVE side to this game. By looking at it purely from a PVP angle, it sort of distorts the argument. Your following questions seem to portray ranged classes as having “all the DPS”, which kind of comes back to the group PVP point I was talking about before. The longer a warrior stays in the fight, the more damage they can do through rage generation. Death interrupts rage generation, heh. I realize that seems like an obvious statement, but it has profound effect on PVP performance. It’s kind of like tapping the brakes a lot on your car and getting lower gas mileage in return. If you die a lot due to lack of healing, you keep having to start up the rage motor again, which means on average you are pulling fewer Mortal Strikes or fewer Executes and your overall performance flags. Again, the methods of circumvention are there for group players, but a soloer is going to suffer. The primary debating point for the devs will be what should be inherent to the class to keep it viable and distinct as opposed to what keeps group play dynamic and balanced. I can reassert ideas of breaking CC to them. I think we come back to the idea of increasing damage mitigation as a route to increase warrior survivability.
Q u o t e:
Protecting the Casters Question: If our goal in PvP is to protect the casters, then why does the warrior class lack the utilities required to take the damage in place of the caster? Should we not be give more abilities like that of Intervene that allow us to take the damage trying to be dealt to the healer?

As far as I know, I think the devs would like to have more effects that deal with “PVP tanking” like Intervene. Part of the issue is simply code tech in place to continue development of varied game mechanics like this. As far as a straight up Taunt that would potentially change targets of another player, the devs have often said they think it’s too clunky and intrusive. Generally, they don’t want players changing other players targets. However, I’ll definitely bring up ideas for more Intervene-like abilities and/or “PVP Tanking” as a topic with them and get some statements.
Q u o t e:
PvE Tanking
By now, it's no shock to anyone that warriors are not scaling in threat like that of druids and paladins. Obviously this was not intended and changes should be made. Some changing of the threat mechanics are in order and that is beyond a players ability to decide on how it should be done. Simply changes that would help multi-mob tanking however can be suggested and it gets no simpler than changing Thunderclap to cost a bit less and be usable in defensive stance.

I can reaffirm this, but as far as I know the devs position is to have the warrior as the primary tanking choice. I don’t think that attitude has changed. However, they do want Pallys and Druids to be competitive choices. This will result in situations where a Pally or Druid might tank better for a particular situation or situations. This could result in more skilled players out performing lesser skilled ones. I would like it if Warriors wouldn’t feel threatened by this, but I imagine a lot of them are or will be and I’m gonna hear about it. Already am, really. If the devs stance has changed in this respect, I’ll let you know.
Q u o t e:
Talents

Last I commented on this generally, it was to the effect that Talent adjustment is still under consideration for the high-end of Arms and Fury. Overall, these trees were sort of “frozen in time” to maintain a certain DPS output. When the devs generated a lot of dps testing for all the classes to redefine baselines for the expansion, talent combinations from Arms/Fury were basically maintained in terms of average output, because Arms/Fury warriors were seeing damage output in numerous encounters (PVP and PVE) that was exceeding the baseline. Observation and calculation in tandem supported the conclusion that fury warriors were capable of rogue-like damage. This is essentially why Warriors perceive the issue as “not much changed talent-wise or playstyle wise” or that a lot of the high end talents are “lackluster”. Generally, Talents are the thing most subject to change with a class, so attention will be paid to this in future patches following release of expansion. I suspect that the devs are also going to want to watch itemization affecting 41-point talents in a live environment, when they can get a broader cross-section than from the Beta.

Like I said, I would like to submit the thread in full to the devs and see what they have in terms of specifics on points made within and see what I can get in terms of the game plan for future design and direction of the class. I’ve tried to give some outline where I can, as overall the direction has not shifted a great deal, but some more definition could help. Y’know, something people can refer back to for our general stance on things. That’s going to take a while, as most development is still on break. In the mean time, I’ll be around posting where I can. Try not to give yourself nerve damage by clicking refresh too much. ;)
#10 - Dec. 28, 2006, 2:21 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
might want to do something with that sig before he comes back, Pake.

I've already seen it. Yeah, I don't like it, but I let it slide.
#261 - Dec. 28, 2006, 9:11 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Well, looks like I've got my reading for the day...
#301 - Dec. 29, 2006, 12:11 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Updated/edited original reply.
#305 - Dec. 29, 2006, 12:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Thank you Tseric. Does the other Tseric know you posted this? :O

There is no Dana, only Zuul.