Wrath of the litch king: Dark druid form?

#0 - Aug. 28, 2007, 4:38 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I thought about the wrath of the litch king coming out and the fact that they made it to where the paladin has a dark form and can bring back the dead with his dark powers. my question is, What do you think that wow will give druids a darker form or not? but if they dont give the druid a dark for like the paladin then there would be a good chance that they could be "guardians".personally i think they will be able to cast disease effects.
#6 - Aug. 28, 2007, 5:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I thought about the wrath of the litch king coming out and the fact that they made it to where the paladin has a dark form and can bring back the dead with his dark powers. my question is, What do you think that wow will give druids a darker form or not? but if they dont give the druid a dark for like the paladin then there would be a good chance that they could be "guardians".personally i think they will be able to cast disease effects.

Wait... Paladins are getting dark powers?

Keep in mind please that the Death Knight is a Hero class and is not dependent on the needing any other particular class to get it. You will need to at least have (at this point in time ) a level 55 character in order to unlock one and play it. The details on this may all yet change.

#14 - Aug. 28, 2007, 5:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Does this mean DKs are gonna be starting at level 55, rather than at 60 or 70 as many had thought?

That is the current thinking. It could still be subject to change though and is not concrete. We're still toying with ideas of how we want to make it all work. We want people to feel like they are learning not only the how's of becoming a Death Knight from the lore perspective, but also how to play one.

Keep in mind this is hopefully the first Hero Class we implement and not the last. Though the idea of adding more of them will be more along the lines of one per expansion if all works out well. So, while it's great that people have ideas of more hero classes they'd like to see, we'd like to see people keep in mind that we aren't going to be adding a lot of them all at once.

We want to focus on adding in this new class as well as continuing development on all of the rest of the classes as well.
#18 - Aug. 28, 2007, 5:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

boo, maybe she'll make us a sammich then.

With or without poison?
#27 - Aug. 28, 2007, 5:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Seeing as they are going to make the switch possible at 55 I see the following things being true

-There won't be any horrible impossible quest to become a DK.
-What level you become a DK will have no affect on what abilities you can learn nor the potency of your char.
-(I've probably missed something in the forums that already says this.) Either you will be able to undo the change, or it will be something like spec'ing moonkin (Being able to switch out of Death Knight form.)

This last one is just speculation.

-DK will not be strictly plate but something that differs depending on what class you go DK from.

The Death Knight will be a completely new character and you will not need to exchange your current character for it.
#30 - Aug. 28, 2007, 5:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So does that mean players will get more available character slots per server? or does that mean we are going to have to delete characters for those of us with currently full character slots???

Undetermined as of yet. We'll let people know when we know more.
#54 - Aug. 28, 2007, 6:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

First, thank you for participating in the druid forums. Some of the class forums rarely see blue text and it is appreciated.. *grins* makes us feel all warm and fuzzy.

Second, so do I understand correctly from what you said... and it is understood this is subject to change... the current feeling is that a player with any class over 55 (or whatever the level ends up being) will be able to unlock Death Knight?

You don't need me to feel warm and fuzzy. You can shapeshift!

On your second part, yes. That is our current thinking.
#61 - Aug. 28, 2007, 6:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So, if it's a completely new character and not an upgrade to an existing one, will it be on par with the other classes in terms of balance? Or will, say, a lvl 60 death knight be able to beat the snot out of any other lvl 60 class? And if not, then why do we call it a hero class? Also, if it is balanced with the other classes, then why can't we start one from lvl 1? Oh, and do we choose a race for the death knight, or are they all the same race?

It is going to be balanced against other classes and will not be able to stomp everyone else just because it's a Death Knight. Yes, they will be powerful but in their own unique way. What makes it a Hero class is that it is from Warcraft lore as a Hero class and also you will get access to it at a higher level. Any race can be a Death Knight in our current thinking as well since the path to corruption can be founded with good intentions much like what happened to Arthas.

Q u o t e:
Hey neth, just out of curiosity, would it be possible to put up a death knight forum in the class forums section? It would be handy for the player base who use these forums to post speculation / topics about death knights in a more confined area. I for one would love to hear what everyone has to say about the class, and would really appreciate an easier means of finding the info. I'm sure you will put one up eventually but sooner rather than later would be best in my opinion.

Just a suggestion and since you are trolling this forum right now maybe I can get something done :P

We haven't determined the timing yet for adding any more new forums but it is a topic of discussion. I'm by no means trying to derail anything here to a non-druid topic, but thought I could clear up some confusions.
#77 - Aug. 28, 2007, 6:57 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Cool, thanks. Just thought of one more question:

Right now, starting a new character you begin with just a couple abilities and gain more as you level and learn the class until you have dozens at 70. With the death knight starting at 55, will they start with just a couple abilites and learn new ones really fast, or will they start with many?

Undetermined as of yet. We're still fleshing a lot of things out. This is another reason we caution people about the perception that the expansion is coming out 'too soon'. We have only shown people the tip of the iceberg and have a lot more that we are still working out and planning for. Once we have more details, we'll be sharing them so people can discuss it more and plan for the future.
#107 - Aug. 28, 2007, 10:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Lates take what we can get at this point. If she wants to talk death knights, let her ramble on...maybe she'll accidentally read another druid suggestion that she'll foward on

or

maybe she's sending non-resto druids a subtle message, with all the death knight discussion in our forum...muuuuaaahhahahahah

Psst.. I already responded in another thread. You're too late.