Banned addons?

#0 - Dec. 6, 2006, 8:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Tonight, after updating mods, there was an uproar in guild chat regarding addons. Apparently, a GM informed one of our members that it was against the ToU to use the damagemeters addon.

I was skeptical, but then a highly trusted friend (different person in a different guild) received a message that he had to disable CTRA (I am unsure if this was from a GM or not) and I not to long after saw people mentioning the same thing in general chat.

My question is why would people be told that these addons would be banned? Are they really banned? If so, how can players be certain we are downloading addons that won't get us in ToU hot water?

It used to be that you could tell if an addon was OK if it were an Lua... if what I'm being told is true (and I've no reason to believe either person would lie) then that doesn't seem to be the measure anymore.

An official answer to these questions, for the sake of the whole community, is requested.

Edit: For anyone confused, this isn't about old addons not working. This is about new addons, using the new functionality, being declared unacceptable by GMs.
#8 - Dec. 6, 2006, 8:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Nobody is being banned. One of the first things GMs do after a new patch is recommend that people disable addons, because they often cause problems if not properly updated. With the exception of cross-faction communication addons and malicious addons, if it works, it's okay to run.

Remember that if there is a separate program running while WoW is running, that watches or interacts with the game, then that is against the ToS, but addons without any executables are fine.
#12 - Dec. 6, 2006, 9:04 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Malicious meaning what (maybe an example?)

Oh, say, a button that crashes other clients, or maybe sends misleading chat messages...

Not that anyone would ever run something like that! :)
#14 - Dec. 6, 2006, 9:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
No, not that... ARGH!