[BUG] /cancelform working incorrectly in 2.3

#0 - Oct. 12, 2007, 8:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
/cancelform is not functioning properly, for Shadowform at the very least. While a macro like

/cancelform
/cast Inner Fire

works properly (the form cancellation and cast of Inner Fire happen instantly), a macro like

/cancelform
/cast [target=player] Prayer of Mending

results in the "you are in shapeshift form" error, and while it shifts you out of Shadowform, it doesn't cast the Prayer of Mending. This behavior is inconsistent with the documented functionality of the cancelform command in 2.3.
#3 - Oct. 13, 2007, 4:27 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Yep, thanks for reporting it.
#5 - Oct. 13, 2007, 9:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
You can shift out, but you can't shift immediately back if you do something else first. I'll take a quick look at that one too though.
#8 - Oct. 14, 2007, 3:48 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Remember that only leaving a form should be instant. Casting other spells that are allowed in caster form can be done immediately afterwards, but to cast anything in the new form requires you to wait for the server to actually put you in that form, which happens after the macro completes.
#10 - Oct. 14, 2007, 4:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
The intent of the change is not to shift out and shift back instantly. I'm not sure why it doesn't work, but I'm absolutely sure that the designers don't want you to use items instantly while in forms. :)
#14 - Oct. 14, 2007, 5:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Well if its not the intent why the change at all? I can isntantly shift from cat to bear or bear to travel etc. on test. So why is it we can't shift from bear to bear and cat to cat?

This is what you yourself said about the change

Player said:

This could have the potential to seriously change the dynamics of druid play.

And your response was:

Yes, this is intentional.

?????

I think the intention is to allow leaving the form and doing something, and then doing another action to get into another form. I'll have to check with the designers though.
#16 - Oct. 14, 2007, 6:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Yep, I agree it's inconsistent. I'll find out how the designers actually want it to work next week.
#52 - Oct. 15, 2007, 6:33 p.m.
Blizzard Post
So I got clarification from the designers that they're fine with druids shifting out, using something, and shifting back. The cost there is the mana in caster form, and the loss of rage/energy, etc. in the feral forms.

Now to find out why it's not working. There may be a technical limitation rather than a design one in this case.
#61 - Oct. 15, 2007, 7:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

/cancelform
/cast [target=player] Prayer of Mending

This is fixed for 2.3 release. I'm looking into the druid forms now.
#67 - Oct. 15, 2007, 8:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Okay, starting in bear form, and then casting this macro:
/cancelform
/use Super healing Potion
/use Master Healthstone
/cast Dire Bear Form()

Will work for 2.3 release. Thanks for the bug reports!

Edit: Note that you are casting the bear form spell, and it's possible to be out of mana at that point.
#73 - Oct. 15, 2007, 8:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

What about:

/cancelform
/fart
/cast Dire Bear Form()

Ewww... if you must.

Q u o t e:

Cat->Cat or Travel->Travel?

Yep!
#75 - Oct. 15, 2007, 8:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

HAS MI BABEES PLZ?

Um... no thank you. :)
#104 - Oct. 19, 2007, 7:08 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Actually, in the next 2.3 test realm update you'll automatically cancel your form before casting - you won't need a macro for it at all. :)
#110 - Oct. 19, 2007, 4 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Does this include the shapeshift spells themselves? Ie. will form-to-form shifting (at the expense of mana) be possible via the secondary action bar, without the need for a macro?

Yep, in fact you can click the shapeshift forms above the action bar to switch from one form to the other, assuming you have enough mana to switch.
#111 - Oct. 19, 2007, 4:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
You mean that after any spell cast you'll automatically leave forms and then cast it just like with auto-dismount? Will that work also with casting other forms? (So pressing cat while in bear will instant shift to cat?)

If so, that will free me up exactly 13 macro slots ^^

Yep, that's exactly right. :)
#116 - Oct. 19, 2007, 7:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Does this change affect other classes, specifically Priests and Shadowform?

Yes, it affects Shadowform and Stealth.
#117 - Oct. 19, 2007, 7:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Not that I'd ever mouse-click my shapeshifting, but...
Assuming the default buttons get this behavior (bear to cat instantly, etc) will the default buttons receive a "caster form button". /cast Dire Bear Form would shift you instantly from bear to bear assuming mana and no GCD. Will the default button do that? Or will the default button just cancel bear form, as it currently does?

If the default button casts bear form while in bear form, users would need an extra 'human form' button, as none of the current buttons woule leave you in caster form unless you were on the GCD?

Either way, it's no big deal. I plan to have a bear, seal/travel/bird, cat, and human button after the patch. Just curious.

The default buttons cast if you're not in the form, and cancel if you are. I'm not sure how explicitly casting it is handled. It should be up on the test realm this weekend, so you can try it out.
#118 - Oct. 19, 2007, 7:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Are we protected against form cancelling if we don't have enough mana to execute the next shapeshift?

Yes, although if there are other reasons why it might fail (e.g. travel form on a ship) then you'll remain in caster form and get an error message.
#125 - Oct. 19, 2007, 9:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I see a potential problem due to lag. Currently, I frequently press a key to go into Cat form and then immediately press 8 to stealth. Maybe 30% of the time, I press the stealth key before the UI decides to change my default action bar to the Cat form one, which means it tries to use the ability in slot 8 of my caster form bar, yielding an error message about not being in the right form.

This will still happen exactly the way it does now. The un-shifting will only happen for spells that cannot be cast in the current form, not for those that require a form to be used.
#126 - Oct. 19, 2007, 9:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

This is going to be an adjustment. Currently I have macros for each form, with a /cancelform line in each of them. This way, when I want to unshift I can press ANY of my form buttons and return to caster. I like this functionality, but I also love the idea of being able to instantly shift from bear->cat, etc. Guess I'm going to have to get used to a "Caster Form" macro button. :(

These should still work. Try it out in the next test realm update.
#129 - Oct. 19, 2007, 10:45 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

yeah, this has GOT to have some type of toggle effect in the settings like the auto dismount has (which i use autodismount and love. but...)

otherwise I also foresee a lot of "druid: oops... meant to cast feral faire fire. accidentally hit regular faire fire and it shifted me out of bear and I got glibbed for a 25k" type of things. i know, be more careful about what you press etc. but yeah. i tend to mash buttons a whoooole lot more while tanking that I do while flying on my mount.

Did you see the several posts which detailed how to disable it?
/console autounshift 0
#130 - Oct. 19, 2007, 10:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I think I didn't make the problem clear.

I've JUST gone into cat form, but the default action bar is still that of the caster. I press 8, *wanting* Stealth, but on my caster actionbar it's lifebloom. Currently, I get "you cannot use that while shapeshifted" or something similar. It sounds like the PTR will make it immediately unshift me back to caster to try to use it.

However, since shapeshifting into a form starts a GCD, hopefully I will have the right actionbar up before the GCD is up, right? And thus, GCD would prevent the ability and the auto-unshift?

Yep, that's the theory. Please try it out on the test realms though, to catch any edge cases we've missed.
#132 - Oct. 20, 2007, 2:36 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I believe this is live on the test realm, can you try it out?