High Roller Addon - Seriously Blizz

#0 - April 1, 2008, 9:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Hi,

I understand there is a lot of April Fools stuff going on. I appreciate it. That said, this "High Roller" addons looks like it could be a combined April Fool / real addon. I can't check it, as I refuse to install anything that defeats the true spirit of the game, but obviously I'm going to have to try if all I am seeing are 85+ rolls everywhere I go. I'm not pugging any more until I get confirmation from Blizz either way, and I'd really appreciate a reply.

April Fools stuff from Blizz is one thing. From third-party sites is a whole other beast.

There are calibration instructions and this explanation...

"WoW bases its random numbers on an SHA-256 hash of your player's name, race, location, the time of the roll, and your previous 16 rolls; the lower 48 bits of the hash are converted to an integer and divided by (max_roll - min_roll), and the remainder from that division is added to min_roll to produce the final roll value.

The bulk of the AddOn is reimplementing the SHA-256 algorithm in Lua, and the startup time is used to figure out your previous rolls and to measure average network latency so that it can get the timings right.

The time used in the random number generation has millisecond resolution, and while it can't be completely accurate in controlling when the packets reach the server, it tries to time it so that the probable arrival time falls in a range that produces more favorable numbers than undesirable ones.

So there's still some randomness to it, you're just tilting the odds in your favor.

I haven't checked, but I imagine the patch released today will fix this.

EDIT: It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, so it probably still works."

Please, someone confirm something here. Someone blue.

Thank you.

Apocowlypse
#1 - April 1, 2008, 9:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I can't imagine any AddOn having the effect you describe. Probably the best thing you can do is just download it and try it.

Definitely make sure it does NOT have an executable in it though! As always, if you see AddOn instructions involving running a program, it's very likely a trojan and should not be trusted.