Thought Police?

#0 - Aug. 28, 2006, 6:19 p.m.
Blizzard Post
At first I thought it was a good idea to give CMs and moderators the ability to modify peoples' posts.

I'm seeing too often now, posts being edited to change their original intent. It might sound crazy, but modifying mean words to be nice ones completely changes the poster's intent, and in a way, their entire online demeanor.

If CMs and Mods want to completely delete/change swears in order to to make a thread more lawyer friendly, that's fine. But think about that book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves". Minor changes to text can completely alter the way a post is viewed.

This is a very fine line to walk, and I'm feeling like the brevity of the power is not being taken seriously enough.

To go from a post like this:

Q u o t e:
You're being a real jackass, you know? Why would you say that Hunters have no place in Raids?

To:

Q u o t e:
You're being a real optimist, you know? Why would you say that Hunters have no place in Raids?

It's pretty easy to see that not only is the inherit sarcasm lost in the post, but the overall tone of the post has completely changed. Indeed, the question at the end of the line almost becomes a real inquiry, instead of a sharp remark.

I'm feeling like Big Brother is now watching our posts, and considering that these posts are (for the most part) the only representation we have of ourselves on these forums, changing those tones and the inherit values of our words is like changing our thoughts.

I hope the message is clear.

Psiphon
#13 - Aug. 28, 2006, 6:30 p.m.
Blizzard Post
If and when you come across an issue with moderation or you feel there is something to report about a thread, feel free to use the report post option or use an appropriate feedback email from the top sticky post.

We are aware of the care that needs to be taken in editing however, our jobs are to keep these forums civil and to foster discussion and community in a way that is most beneficial. If you notice, on my edits, I make them italics so you can see a change was made as well as there is an "edited by" notification.

I am closing this thread since this topic isn't up for debate. We have tools on these forums to help us work with the community and we plan to use them (with care.)