Lag Spikes

#0 - Aug. 31, 2006, 3:06 a.m.
Blizzard Post
The lag spikes that players have complained about on many realms since the launch of 1.12 are fixed. There are restarts scheduled for late tonight for all realms that do not yet have this fix. I understand this has been frustrating for all of you. It's been frustrating for me too. I've worked on little else this past week.

The realms that had hardware upgrades this morning already have the fix for this issue in place, in addition to their new hardware. As far as I can tell, and I have been watching closely, they have been completely free of this problem all day. Though the cause and the fix for it were elusive until late last night, we have been able to detect it reliably, albeit after the fact, since late last week.
#68 - Aug. 31, 2006, 4:17 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Nope.

Alleria's battlegroup (don't know what # it is) AV is just as laggy as ever.

Battlegrounds, especially AV, have additional performance problems that are not the same as tonight's fix. The bug being fixed tonight affected everyone on the realm at the same time for anywhere from 10 to 20 seconds, as many of you have noted in this and other threads. There is additional work in progress to address some of the battleground specific issues that have come up with the release of cross-server battlegrounds.

Q u o t e:
Seraphic on KT just downed Razuvious...lagged out, instance RESET before we could get our stuff.

There is also a fix incoming for the specific instance crash you hit here.
#69 - Aug. 31, 2006, 4:18 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

is this the same ogre from beta?

Yes.
#100 - Aug. 31, 2006, 6:44 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I hate to call you a liar. Liar is such a harsh term.
I think you completely exaggerate the facts and put the cart before the horse, however.

8/30/2006 5:00 - 8:30pm Pacific, many, many, many lag spikes that make 40-man raiding impossible on Stonemaul.

I find that a good rule of thumb in all electronic communication is that many people won't ever read past the first two sentences. This is fine, I am just as guilty of this as anyone else. But I will find it distressing when things get so bad that I finally have to revise that rule down to only one sentence. Please don't make me do that.

(In simpler times, this post would have read simply READ POST OR OGRE SMASH)
#104 - Aug. 31, 2006, 7:36 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Fine, I'll state it in nicer terms than my fellow players have, if you prefer. Ogre, you stated that the lag-spikes issue has been resolved on the servers that got new hardware this morning (like Kirin Tor, my server), yet I can tell you that it has not been resolved. Multiple lag-spikes occurred while I was killing Yetis in Winterspring tonight, between 6:30pm and 7:30pm PDT tonight. I have checked my connection, my router and my computers, none of which were the cause. This lag on Kirin Tor started when 1.12 was released, and today's "fix" did not stop it.

Now then, would you please look into this further? I am sure something is still awry on the server-side.

If you can describe in more detail what you are seeing then I can look. Lag is an unfortunately overloaded term. I will tell you there is still one more hardware upgrade in store for your realm and many others. That final upgrade will address "lag" of one sort, where it takes several seconds to pick up loot (and mailed items, crafting, etc.). This software fix does not address that sort of lag at all.

Tonight's fix (this morning's fix on your realm) addresses the entire realm locking up for up to 20 seconds. I cannot find any signs that your entire realm was having that problem at any point since this morning.
#106 - Aug. 31, 2006, 8:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'm at work now, so I can't provide you detailed system specs, but I can describe the lag. I'd be fighting Yetis (as I said before), when both the mob and my toon just stop striking each other. I sit there casting, the mob just stands there, as with classic lag-pauses. These last from 2-10 seconds, sometimes longer. They would occur every few minutes, although I wasn't timing the intervals in-between, so I can't be more accurate than that. When the spike would break loose, I would take a large amount of damage all at once, from all the strikes I hadn't been registering from the Yeti during the lag. Luckily, I never died as a result of this, though.

I will say that this only occurred in Winterspring, I had no such problems in Orgrimmar, or when I ran RFC solo. Perhaps it was an issue with the zone itself?

The nature of the internet is such that sometimes things like this are unavoidable. I'm not trying to brush this off, just pointing out that it is a possibility there were actual network delays at some point between you and your realm, during the time you were in Winterspring. Sometimes it's just not something you nor I nor your ISP nor our ISP can do anything about. There are still more hops in between all those points, potentially a lot more depending how you get your internet connection. But I promise I will ponder your issue further, if you'll promise to keep track of when you're having this issue. There is no glaring evidence that the hardware running Winterspring was having any trouble keeping up, nor as I said that there were any widespread issues on your realm.