Please nerf overpowered Dwarf racial!

#0 - Oct. 2, 2006, 3:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
With "The Burning Crusade" coming out in a few months, Blizzard seems to be taking steps to alleviate certain concerns that have plagued the game since launch. Warlocks now have an ability to dump aggro. Rogues now have a way to instantly attack with both weapons. Shadow Priests can heal. Holy Priests can insta-Smite. And, of course, the Alliance gets Windfury, the Horde gets Blessing of Salvation, the Alliance gets its "buff" race, the Horde gets its "pretty race."

However, while looking over the rumors, the confirmations, and the released media about the expansion pack, there's one advantage the Alliance has over the Horde that I don't see being addressed. It's a major one, one that has let the Alliance play this game on "easy mode," or "LOLEZMODE" for those of you in Barrens chat, since November 2004.

And I hope Blizzard takes steps to fix it.

It involves Dwarves.

Dwarves (an Alliance player race, for those of you in Horde LFG) are a popular choice among the Alliance. It's common to see Dwarven Warriors tanking Neferian, or a Dwarven Hunter sniping at you in Alterac Valley, or a Dwarven Paladin running the flag in Warsong Gulch. Behind Night Elves and Humans, Dwarves are the third most picked race on the Alliance side, and a lot of players choose this race because of their racial abilities. Namely, one singular ability.

Just peruse (a word meaning "look over" for those of you standing too close to a guildie in C'Thun's room) the guild recruiting forums and check out the titles of some of the recruiting threads therein.

"<FEROCITY> LOOKING FOR DWARF PRIESTS!"
<WILLIAM HUNG FANS> NEED DWARVEN PRIEST!"
"DWARVEN PRIEST? JOIN <NAGA STOLE MY TV>!"

Seeing a pattern, besides my use of all capital letters for emphasis? Yes, that's right. I didn't use a quotation mark to open the second sentence. But look a little closer...

Yep. They all want Dwarfs to join then. Sure, they could have a Night Elf Priest or a Human Priest, but their racial abilities PALE in comparison to the overpowered Dwarf racial. A racial that, if Blizzard doesn't nerf soon, that will unbalance this game decidedly in favor of the Alliance, even with Paladins-for-the-Horde and Shamans-For-the-Alliance.

You all know what I'm talking about.

Treasure Finding.

I mean, Blizzard has given Dwarfs an unlimited-duration, no-cooldown ability that not only gives them a license to print money, but also adds to their survivability! It's unfair to the Horde, and gives the Alliance, through one race having an advantage, a HUGE advantage.

For example, let's say a Dwarven Priest and a Tauren Shaman are questing/grinding in, oh, Lost Rigger Cover in Tanaris. Both are running around, offing pirates. Inside the town itself, there's a treasure chest inside one of the buildings. The Tauren Shaman has no need to enter the building, so he just focuses on killing the pirates.

The Dwarven Priest, though...she has Treasure Finding turned on. And she sees that, according to the yellow dot on her mini-map, there's a treasure chest over there. So she walks inside, kills a Swashbuckler, and opens the chest. And what does she get, but a Major Mana Potion, a Moonwell Pumpkin, and an Aquamarine.

Well, let's just look at these facts. First off, everyone knows Shamans have a very inefficient mana return when they drop Mana Spring totems. So now, the Dwarven Priest has an advantage in mana regeneration, meaning that she can last longer in a fight, through judicious use of Mind Blast and Smite. One swig and she's still going, while the Shaman is going "come on, come on, tick, tick...boom, Lesser Healing Wave, oh, too late, I'm dead!"

Second, with the Pumpkin. While the Major Mana Potion lets the Dwarven Priest last longer in a fight, the Pumpkin allows her to have a shorter downtime outside of the fight. So now, she can just eat her way to full health, letting her mana regenerate because she's not wasting it on healing herself. What is the Shaman supposed to do? Bandage, with the minute cooldown? Drop a Healing Stream Totem, which is a lot slower? All he can do is watch as the Dwarven Priest hops back up and keeps killing mobs that he can't tag because he's too busy waiting for the Bandage cooldown to go away.

Third...Aquamarines. Now, this is just blatant oversight on the part of Blizzard. Everyone who plays "World of Warcraft" knows how important money is, especially during the endgame. Aquamarines are obviously a valuable item and commodity, especially since they drop from Eterium and Thorium lockboxes that can be found in MC, BWL, and Naxx. An item you could get from a raiding instance, in a chest that can easily be found by a Dwarven Priest? So now, this Dwarven Priest, thanks to Treasure Finding, can make money faster then the poor Shaman because they find rare, raiding-dungeon-drop items in easy-to-find (for them) treasure chests.
#203 - Oct. 2, 2006, 10:46 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I've just discussed this with the Lead Designers and we've agreed to remove Dwarves from the game, altogether.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
#223 - Oct. 2, 2006, 11:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Thank you Eyonix. Finally, one of you have taken the time to listen.

Just one question...

Will lore be involved in the removal of Ironforge? Perhaps a hostile takeover by leper gnomes.... or maybe by the gnomish king himself?!

We'll just make it like they never happened. ;)