*Show Shoulders* toggle in BC?

#0 - Oct. 11, 2006, 11:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
i noticed in one of todays screenshots of the BC it shows a female blood elf female in dreadmist but the Headpeice, Shoulders, and Cloak were not showing.... currently you can toggle helmet view cloak view ....

...is this possible hope that people will be able to finally hide their (somtimes) oooogly shoulder graphics?
#5 - Oct. 11, 2006, 11:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
We have discussed it many times before with the devs. While we have implemented toggles for helm and cloak primarily from player feedback, we don't plan on continuing the trend at this time.

Shoulders in WoW have a distinct style which we regard as an important contribution of our artists to the flavor of the game. If we begin to subvert everything for the sake of game play, that can be sort of crude and detract from the aesthetics of the game.
#163 - Oct. 12, 2006, 6:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ok, I think this cud has been sufficiently chewed.

I told you our stance on it. I also inferred that this would probably be discussed again in the future as it has in the past.

Some of you offered your sincere opinions.

Others chose to react with astonishment, disbelief, outrage and other overly emotional attitudes about this.

Several went on to offer personal insults to the art department.

Others preferred to regard my comments as excuses, insults or simply unprofessional.

At that point, it is clear that discussion has failed and many simply want to bully us into this decision or once again paint the picture of us being ignorant to the desires of the community or intentionally ignoring players. Where insult becomes the point of order, rather than the simple matter at hand.

Yes, it is a simple matter. However, this is not an advertising agency as some have suggested, where art can be sent back for further review if the client is not fully satisfied with that aspect of the whole. It is about how art fits into the game and has more than the single purpose of looking good. Shoulders are a primary component of having gear be an indicator of a character's power, level and/or where they've been. It is a philosophy that we want to keep intact where possible.

The subjective stance of "I think they're ugly" has been noted, but does not comprise the only driving force here.