Can you clarify this comment?

#0 - Oct. 25, 2006, 7:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
...there is a core consideration that has been overlooked by many arguing over this topic and that is of a consistency in appearance with the rest of the world and the characters and creatures in it. There is a specific style that is in play and we want to make sure that the style in use is carried out through all aspects of the world which includes the Blood Elves. I realize people think that their more feminine leanings were the primary thrust but it was a part of the consideration when thinking of the current models that are in use. The question comes up of "Do these Elves belong in this world and are they what we want them to be?"

First of all, I apologize for starting a new thread about this, but the one that you made this comment in is broken and I can't post in it.

Specifically, my question is this. Are you/the developers saying that huge muscles are an integral part of the Warcraft aesthetic? Because, if so, that's disappointing. I've seen a lot of people state that one of their primary reasons for disliking the change in the male blood elves' appearance is that the old models provided some much-needed diversity. A lot of people, myself included, originally liked and wanted to play the blood elves because we liked their slender and elegant appearance, something that none of the other races (at least the males) currently offer. Personally, I don't think they were ever so different from everything else that they didn't fit in with the rest of the world; while most of the males in WoW are exaggeratedly buff and ripped, the magic-addicted caster elves were exaggeratedly thin and foppish. That actually seems to fit really well. Now, I may just be reading too much into this, but the above quote makes it sound like the developers are actively trying to avoid this sort of diversity. Can you tell me if that is, in fact, what was meant?

Hope you won't take this as a personal attack, because I appreciate how honest and forthcoming you've been on this topic. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding you correctly before I overreacted. ^_^

*Edited the title- Nethaera
#3 - Oct. 25, 2006, 8:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
It's not about just musculature but about the overall feel of World of Warcraft and the style we want to continue to use. We need to be careful not to stray into the styles normally associated with other games or areas while still advancing the world of Azeroth as it's being created.
#21 - Oct. 25, 2006, 8:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I'm not going to lie, I needed to respond to get a first. I failed.

I'm so disappointed. :(

There is a unique quality to the style that World of Warcraft affords that we will continue to work on and enhance. As I have said prior, graphical changes can be sometimes shocking for the sake that they are so easy to access and see as soon as they are made. Still images also don't always relay how things look in motion. We are monitoring things as we go since we are still in beta but that is not a promise of change or reverting to the previous version. It's merely an acknowledgement that we are aware of people's feelings whether positive or negative. We of course want people to be happy while continuing to stay true to the style we have used for so long.
#144 - Oct. 25, 2006, 10:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Ok everyone. Normally I like to let threads run themselves out but the arguments that are occurring are just not acceptable. I also don't particularly like the implications that there are things behind my words that don't exist.

I am closing this thread. I have said where we are at with the current models and the why. I have stated that we will still follow feedback but in saying that, it means constructive and non-offensive feedback.

This thread has sadly outlived its usefulness and many people seem to miss that things stated are face value and not deeper meanings or conspiracies on our part. This was a design decision for the theme and feel of the game.

/locked