WotF ever getting fixed?

#0 - Nov. 4, 2006, 5:31 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Name one racial besides Will of the Forsaken that cripples the primary defense of a single class. You can't, because another one doesn't exist.

I originally posted this in the warlock forums, but I think it should be here as well. I've brought up the fact that WotF is way overpowered numerous times, and these are all the arguments that I get. I've yet to see someone come up with a rational argument as to why one race having a huge advantage over an entire class is fair.

There are several options to make it more balanced, but I think the most reasonable are:

A. Make WotF break fear/seduce/sleep but not make that player immune for 5 seconds
B. Have WotF make a player immune to fear/seduce/sleep for 5 seconds, but not break current effects
C. Give undead a flat resistance percentage. Something like 15% resistance to fear/charm/sleep effects.

Anyways, these are the arguments I usually see, I'd like to see either something different that's rational, or some players agreeing with me.

"you should have rolled undead or a different race"

That's a horrible argument. When you went to the store to buy this game after it came out, did you look at the cover and go 'gee, I think undead are going to have an overpowered ability against warlocks'. No, you
didn't. If I were to reroll now, I would reroll a horde warlock simply because of how overpowered WotF is.

"dwarf priests have fear ward"

Yes, dwarf priests, (one race of one class) have an ability that stops one fear. Will of the Forsaken breaks fear and seduce and makes that player immune to both for 5 seconds. Dwarf priests make up 25% of the alliance priest population, and 3% of the entire alliance population. So in other words, 3% of alliance players have a decent anti-fear ability. Undead players make up 38% of the horde population. So in other words, 38% of horde players have a decent anti-warlock crowd control (not just anti fear) ability.

"Humans have perception and that's anti rogue"

Perception and WotF are completely different, and here's why: Perception basically acts as a flare for all humans, allowing them to see a stealthed rogue or druid, but the ability only works if they know the rogue or druid is there (you rarely know until the stunlock starts). WotF breaks all warlock crowd control (except DC) and makes that player immune to fear/seduce for 5 seconds. They're not even comparable, and WotF is much more used than Perception.

"Night elves have shadowmeld, that's a really good racial too"

Yes, night elves have shadowmeld, which is a pretty cool racial and let's them hold nodes in AB pretty well. Just like tauren have war stomp which is a pretty useful stun in pvp. The reason you can't compare this to WotF is shadowmeld is a generally good racial that has no advantage over anyone in particular. While WotF breaks and makes a player immune to the primary defense of a single class. You can't compare those 2 racials at all.

"Gnomes have escape artist"

Yes, gnomes have a similar racial of sorts as it breaks a crowd control ability and has a cooldown, but it's not nearly as powerful. First of all, what can gnomes escape out of? The big ones are usually frost nova and roots. Druids can just pop another roots on, and mages have other methods of crowd control (sheep, blast wave, they can cold snap and cast another frost nova or they can just ice block and wait for the cooldown). This isn't the same with WotF, as it not only breaks the CC, but also makes that player immune for 5 seconds. So these 2 racials cannot be compared either. The only thing that can be said is WotF should be more like escape artist (breaks the CC but doesnt make the player immune).

"Now you know how other classes feel against you"

Warlocks are tough in pvp, everyone knows that. Whether or not warlocks themselves are overpowered is an entirely different discussion. The point of this thread is that one race has a huge advantage over alliance warlocks.

Name one other racial that cripples the primary defense of a single class. You can't, because another one doesn't exist.
#60 - Nov. 4, 2006, 6:43 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
It will never be fixed because it isn't broken. Simple as that.

I'm going to have to go with Comorat having the soundest logic on this matter.

Aside from that, we think the racial is desirable, but does not throw off balance in any dramatic sense. So much so, that there are trinkets available to employ similar effects. It is not a unique ability in that it counters fear, nor is it unique in that it counters commonly used defenses. Counter abilities are what a good deal of this games balance revolves around.

We regard WoTF in the context of its past, as well, when we did regard it as overpowered. We are still comfortable with its effectiveness in the game, compared to past cases.
#71 - Nov. 4, 2006, 6:55 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Somehow I don't think this going to end the arguement.

The show must go on, eh? ;)

Q u o t e:
(And did Tseric just mention Sound Logic and Comorat in the same sentence?)

Just keep walking. Don't make eye contact.
#78 - Nov. 4, 2006, 7:01 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Translation: I play undead....

To all the folks saying "shut up alliance" ... your whining got shadowmeld nerfed... Double standards. Hm.

The problem with translations from forum posters is that they invariably put words in my mouth. I dislike that.

My warlock is alliance, soooo...where is your claim to bias now?