Insane

#0 - Nov. 7, 2006, 5:27 p.m.
Blizzard Post
It's insane how we put up with 6 hours of downtime every single week.

That's 24 hours in a month.

That's a full days service.

The game is under server maintenance 1/30th of the time.

What other companies can get away with that number? Does your internet provider go down for 24 hours in a month? What about your home phone service.... or cell phone? What about your electricity?

Or how about compare our downtime with other games on the market... how often does DAOC, UO, EQ1/2, Guildwars, SWG, or ANY other MMORPG on the market go down for server maintenance?

Why the hell do we comply, defend, and put up with this?

Totally insane.
#36 - Nov. 7, 2006, 6:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

WoW wouldn't exist today without some of those games. But you're absolutely right. But then again... your point was..... ? Oh... right... the downtime WoW has is "ok" because of a larger market? Hmmmmm.....

No, the downtime isn't "ok", it's necessary. Yes, a larger market affects our length of downtime, as the memory dumps needed are larger, because more information is being cleared out. More realms are being cleared out and running processes to clean up the database takes a certain amount of time for each cluster of realms.

Now, that may not be the case with every MMO server in the world, but we aren't dealing with their realms, we're dealing with ours.

I find it a little upsetting that you're here bad-mouthing something you are demonstrating little knowledge about. You don't strike me as a database adminstrator, so how do you know exactly how the matter needs to be dealt with?

You act like it's a personal and malicious thing we are doing. You act like, if we had the smallest modicum of decency that we would repeal Tuesday maintenance because it wasn't, in fact, necessary.

You are simply mistaken. Consolidating downtime is the most efficient method of keeping the work that needs to be done in the most minimal quantity. Shorter, but staggered downtime would merely break up the workload and be more confusing for both players and those who maintain the realms. Getting maintenance over in one shot is better for everyone in the long run.

#187 - Nov. 7, 2006, 7:05 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Oh this is rich.

You're the ignorant one here Tseric. Yes there are some 12-year old morons here, but there are also people like me, who wrote and maintain huge enterprise applications. I have one app that maintains over 500 million records, which are accessed some 32,000 per hour. That system hasn't been taken offline in 3 years, at all, ever.

The company i work for has 55 million customers. We process somewhere close to 36 billion records per month. Downtime isn't acceptable in our business, and it shouldn't be acceptable in yours either. It's a disservice to paying customers, and it's indicative of poor design, poor deployment, or both.

[Edit]
Just FYI, I don't mind about maintenance. I'm at work during maintenance anyway. But I never have understood how they managed to design such a fragile system in the first place.

So, just one question for you, then. These enterprise applications you mentioned, are they graphics-based engines that maintain a persistent world? Or are they text-based applications?

Can you see why I would ask?

I have no problem engaging in a discussion about downtime and possible suggestions to change it or shorten it.

What I do take issue with is someone posting misinformation with obvious bias in the subject line and then going on to decry the people who would "defend Blizzard'. Within the first several posts, there was complete dismissal of any point of view save agreement with the OP. The OP chose not to have a discussion about the matter, but condemn anyone who would point out possible explanations.

I didn't attack anyone, I simply challenged and questioned the OP's standpoint. Seeing as they were being selective in their estimation of other games' downtime, which my own and other's experience proved false, I feel obligated to question the validity of those claims.

The difference is, I questioned someones veracity. You came right out and said I was ignorant. That's the difference, here.