World PvP a Flop?

#0 - Aug. 27, 2006, 5:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Okay, I spent pretty much all of yesterday questing on my warlock (now level 58) in either EPL or Silithis. I don't know if it is like this on every server, but here's my observation:

EPL: Towers being held by ... no one. Alliance had all the towers all most all the time I was there, and when I stopped by them to check them out there was absolutely no one. I think once horde captured a tower, but lost it ... and when I went to investigate there was no battle going on.

Silithus: I spent a few hours in Silithus and completed the PvP quest. The only one doing anything was the allliance. When I got to Silithus the score was something like: Alliance 119/200, Horde 36/200. A few hours later it was 136/200 to 37/200. Yeah ... just one, though I did take a trip down by the horde outpost and nuked a shaman.

Is it like this on every realm? My guess is the cross realm BGs are the downfall of this attempt. The 50-59 queue for AB and WSG is pretty much instant, with AV being around 15 minutes. For 60s, WSG and AV are about 10-15 minutes. Either way, making the trip worthless unless Blizz puts in some real incentives.
#24 - Sept. 29, 2006, 3:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I realize that people are basing their opinions on what they are experiencing with World PvP now and I can respect that. I want to caution people on stating that World PvP is a "flop" when what you are seeing is but the tip of the iceberg. There is more to come with the expansion that has been integrated into the very zones. I would also caution people to remember as well that World PvP is meant to be something players can choose to take part in or not. It is just another activity within a zone to do. (Speaking based on mechanics solely.)

I know people often bring up the idea that rewards need to be more robust but again, we don't want to make the World PvP a requirement for achieving something but instead a choice. To some that small buff might be JUST the boost they need to get other things done within a zone. I can't list out the other goals or specifics of what is going into the expansion as of yet, but I can tell you they do vary and can be of strategic worth.

Beyond just the mechanics that are in place at current, World PvP is what you make it. Nothing stops you from doing it. Even the reason of not wanting Dishonorable Kills could be a distant memory. It just depends on what happens within the beta as to whether it does become a distant memory or not.
#73 - Sept. 29, 2006, 4:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
There's no spin involved in my statements. I fully acknowledge people's feelings and sentiments. I do feel that people may find themselves changing their minds in due time. I don't believe everyone will ever be 100% satisfied but that's not going to keep us from continuing to push forward and try to do more for the playerbase.

We've also said before that world PvP is not meant to be fair. Battles out in the world will not be force balanced. They will be what they will whether it's 5 on 5, 2 on 3, 10 on 2 etc. I'm perhaps one of the few that enjoy it when things aren't balanced in my favor. I like to try to overcome the odds. Of course, I don't like to necessarily lose but I realize that sometimes you do. When you lose though, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again until you win. Perserverance can pay off.

For those that are looking for some semblance of balance there are battlegrounds and arenas for people (arenas come expansion) to bring that about. Also before someone can say that battlegrounds aren't balanced now, keep in mind that a matching system is planned to be implemented as well to try to keep groups as close to equal as possible.

Just to reiterate for those that say "just remove DKs", we plan to in the beta so we can see the results. We feel they may not serve their purpose anymore but before we make that a permanent determination we want to test it and see how it goes.
#209 - Sept. 29, 2006, 8:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I just wanted to post quickly to let people know that I have been reading still. It would just be impossible to answer everyone's arguments so I'd rather let the discussion flow.

Please do not create new threads so that the discussion on this topic can stay in tact and flow the way it should.

Thanks.