Background Downloader FAQ

#0 - Nov. 20, 2006, 9:52 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Downloading large patches can be a time-consuming process that most players would prefer to speed up if they could. When we play games, we don’t like waiting to patch…we want to play. Recognizing that, Blizzard developed the Background Downloader, which serves to minimize the amount of time spent waiting for patches to download on patch days.

What Is the Background Downloader?

The Background Downloader is essentially the Blizzard Downloader operating in background mode. The main benefit of this mode is that it allows Blizzard to deliver patch data in advance of patch day. When patch data becomes available, the Background Downloader will launch and (based on the preferences that you have specified) begin downloading the data in the background of whatever other operations you are currently running on your PC. This download will be low-impact and should not noticeably affect the performance of your PC or any software that you are running at the time of download.

From your perspective, a background download will start, run for a period of time (based on your preferences) over several sessions, and eventually finish. Then, on patch day, the standard Blizzard Downloader will be launched to deliver a small amount of final data, as well as any data that you did not successfully download in the weeks prior. The more data that you successfully download in the background before patch day, the shorter your download will be when patch day arrives.

Please note that downloading patch data in advance is not the same as installing a patch or any portion of it. Background downloading merely makes a large portion of the patch data available on your PC ahead of time in order to minimize the amount of time spent downloading patch data on patch day. Patch day is when all of the patch data will be installed.

Why use the Background Downloader for the Upcoming Patch?

Very soon we will begin providing data from our upcoming patch for players to background download. This content patch will be very large. It will contain all the features necessary to prepare World of Warcraft players for The Burning Crusade expansion set, including World of Warcraft’s new player-vs.-player honor system, class talent changes, and much more.

We highly recommend that you background download this patch in order to minimize delay on patch day. The more data you background download before patch day, the less data you’ll have to download when the final patch content arrives and the faster you’ll be able to get back into the game as a result.

How to Use the Background Downloader

In order to background download, you must use the Blizzard Launcher. From the Launcher, you can set your background-download preferences by clicking on the “Options” button. Here’s an explanation of the available options:

* Download while playing; continue download after game exit.
Starts the Blizzard Downloader in background mode when you launch World of Warcraft. Download will continue until all of the available data has been received, even if you exit the game.

* Download while playing; stop download upon game exit.
Starts the Blizzard Downloader in background mode when you launch World of Warcraft. The Downloader will continue running until you exit the game or until all of the available data has been received.

* Download after game exit; stop download upon game re-launch.
Starts the Blizzard Downloader in background mode when you exit World of Warcraft. The Downloader will continue running until you launch the game again or until all of the available data has been received.

* Do not download now.
Prevents any background download at this time. Note that this option is not recommended, as it will result in a significantly longer cumulative download time on patch day.

The default option for the Background Downloader is the third option listed above: Download after game exit; stop download upon game re-launch.

Why use the Background Downloader for Expansion Content?

Blizzard will also be providing you with the option to background download a significant portion of the expansion content in advance of release. You must still purchase the expansion and upgrade your account in order to play The Burning Crusade. In order to participate in the background download, you must opt-in by checking the Expansion Background Download check box in the Launcher’s Option menu.

If you background download the expansion content in advance, you will be able to install The Burning Crusade much more quickly than if you didn’t background download the expansion, and you will not be required to swap discs. However, you must download ALL of the content that we provide in order to take advantage of this considerably shorter installation method.

Update - Mac Support is now enabled for the Background Downloader. There is a particular issue with it's use which Mac users will probably want to know. You can find out more on the Mac Tech Support forum or follow this link:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=48697005&sid=1
#123 - Nov. 23, 2006, 1:15 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
How do you fix lag issues with the background downloader, every time I run it I get Disconnected or lag so bad I don't want to play.

Hawc, if you are experiencing lag while using the background downloader, you may want to change the background downloader setting to Option 3 (Download after game exit; stop download upon game re-launch.) If your lag is caused by the background downloader, this should resolve your problem. If you lag is not caused by the background downloader, this should isolate your problem.

You can find information on how to change your background downloader settings in the first post of this thread.
#124 - Nov. 23, 2006, 1:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
is there any chance whatsoever that the background downloader can be skipped and downloaded straight from a website or from a mirror site? ive had numerous problems with my downloads and just cant seem to get it too work. ive even had a frined of mine who works with computers all day come in and try to fix my inability to download via the background downloader but he cant work out the problem?
if anyone knows a mirror site i can get these patch's from plzzz post it and ill love u forever :)

There have been a number of improvements to the background downloader since it was last used. However, if you don’t wish to use it, you do have that option. You can find information on how to change your background downloader settings in the first post of this thread. The option you are looking for is #4 (Do not download now.)

Please do not download this data from mirror sites at this time. The background downloader delivers this data in raw form. On its own, it is not useful to you. If you elect not to use the Blizzard Background Downloader or the Blizzard Downloader, we will be providing standalone patches to a number of mirror sites shortly before the Patch goes live.
#125 - Nov. 23, 2006, 1:16 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I just recently got a new firewall, due to a takeover of my computer, and failure of my previous one. My new firewall is the Agnitum Outpost Firewall. I am having problems with getting the firewall to allow the downloader to work. Although, I have already entered it as a trusted program, set it to allow both ways, inbound and outbound; but it still doesn't allow the downloader to go through. Is there somewhere I can find the addresses of all the possible locations the downloader would need to connect to? Not ports, I have ports, it seems to me that I need the possible addresses for the downloader to connect.

Any help would be wonderful, and thanks in advance.

Information on how to configure firewalls can be found here: http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww01175p

If you require further assistance you may contact Tech Support. They should be able to assist you. Tech support may be reached via email at Wowtech@Blizzard.com
#129 - Nov. 23, 2006, 1:38 a.m.
Blizzard Post
If data is being saved on your desktop please reference the below thread.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=48697317&sid=1
#197 - Nov. 23, 2006, 6:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I'm all in favor of the background downloader. But, at the same time, it should toss something up in your system tray to indicate it's running. That would make me happy.

Alkyhol, there should be an icon in your system tray when the background downloader starts. For most people who have not changed their preferences, it will start after they exit WoW.
#198 - Nov. 23, 2006, 6:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
For those who may have missed this particular section on the original post:

If you would like to turn off the Blizzard Background Downloader, or if you would like to background download at a different time, you may do so.

You can set your background download preferences from the Launcher by clicking on the “Options” button. Here’s are the available options:

Starts the Blizzard Downloader in background mode when you launch World of Warcraft. Download will continue until all of the available data has been received, even if you exit the game.

Starts the Blizzard Downloader in background mode when you launch World of Warcraft. The Downloader will continue running until you exit the game or until all of the available data has been received.

Starts the Blizzard Downloader in background mode when you exit World of Warcraft. The Downloader will continue running until you launch the game again or until all of the available data has been received.

* Do not download now.
Prevents any background download at this time. Note that this option is not recommended, as it will result in a significantly longer cumulative download time on patch day.

The default option for the Background Downloader is the third option listed above: Download after game exit; stop download upon game re-launch.

When the patch goes live, users who have not background downloaded some or any of the patch data will download (and patch) the remaining data normally. Blizzard will also be providing standalone patches to a number of mirror sites.
#200 - Nov. 23, 2006, 6:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
if i close the downloader will it restart from the start or were i left it at?

As long as you do not move the data, it will start from where it left off.
#201 - Nov. 23, 2006, 6:37 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I was wondering if there is a way to have the BBDL to DL to a diffrent hard drive instead of the one the painstaking job of copy/pasting the folder to a 2nd HD, I have the BBDL on a 2nd drive but it still pops up on my main drive.

thx =)

Kave, please read the thread found here: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=48697317&sid=1
#301 - Nov. 24, 2006, 11:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
ive downloaded this stupid patch at least 3 times and for some reason every time i exit wow it makes me do it again.... and every time it trys to do it again it makes a new folder on my desk top... the first time i downloaded it it went in my wow folder and its still there so why is it still makeing new folders and downloading it over and over and over again?

Resaac, there are a couple of users experiencing problems like yours. We should have a fix for your problem early next week. In the mean time, you may want to either contact Tech Support or turn of background downloading by selecting option #4 in the Launcher until this issue is resolved.
#302 - Nov. 24, 2006, 11:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
ummmm, yeah its not downloading at all, i ve looked at the options and tried all of them, ( download during game, after game, ect) and its not downlading, what should i do?

Tkrenzel, can you clarify whether the background downloader is not launching at all, or if you are stuck on 0%? The background downloader is rather stealthy. The only thing you should see is an icon in your system tray.
#303 - Nov. 24, 2006, 11:28 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I didn't see a "Options" button on the launcher and I want to change it so it will start when I start the game, continue while I'm playing, and keep on downloading after I've exited. Another thing I've noticed is that my background downloader keeps stopping at 14%, anyone know why?

Fisk, the options button is in the lower left hand corner of the Launcher.
#304 - Nov. 24, 2006, 11:29 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Additional question: Is there a way to see how much data has been downloaded by the Background Downloader?

Crunc, double click the downloader icon in your system tray. It'll open up the downloader window and provide information on how much you have downloaded.
#371 - Nov. 26, 2006, 3:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
If you would like to turn off the Blizzard Background Downloader, or if you would like to background download at a different time, you may do so.

You can set your background download preferences from the Launcher by clicking on the “Options” button. Here’s are the available options:

* Do not download now.

When the patch goes live, users who have not background downloaded some or any of the patch data will download (and patch) the remaining data normally. Blizzard will also be providing standalone patches to a number of mirror sites.