Concern: TCG Rewards in Game

#0 - Oct. 25, 2006, 3:54 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I am concerned that Blizzard is offering in-game rewards to players out of game, namely the TCG. This is in regards to the post about the murloc pet.

I see this as on par with people buying items for real money. Thus against WoW's terms of use. (although i do agree that all content is blizzards property and thus they can do what they want with it)

Reason being: People who spend $$$ on the TCG get in game rewards. Currently, you can get pets, and even a mount. The way it works, is you buy the cards and then scratch off for rewards.

I fear that in the future, the only way to get certain gear will be to play the TCG. The problem with this, is that in order for me to get the gear that I want, I have to spend money.

As a person who is strongly against the purchasing of money and items with real money, I strongly disagree with these actions. I find it hard to believe that blizzard will tell people that they can't buy gold online, and then they turn around and get people to buy gear.

I guess its fair if blizzard does it, just not if anyone else does.

/note what will be next: in order to get T4 gear you have to buy 7 packs of cards?

flame away

/edit: see nethera's posts. They clear the issue up quite nicely.
* Although I still (along with many) would love a turtle mount :-p.
#16 - Oct. 25, 2006, 4:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I know this concern keeps coming up but we have no intention to add items to the game from the TCG that give anyone who does find those items any sort of advantage over anyone else. As they are, these items are merely 'vanity' items. They have no in game worth other than they look cool. It's just an added feature for those that choose to participate in the TCG and in WoW both but it's certainly not a requirement for people to play both (or collect) in order to make headway in either game. They are merely complimentary of each other.

People wll choose what they value most and if they value finding one of these items and using them in the game, then that is their choice. Mostly though, it's just meant as something fun. It's like finding the Golden Ticket in, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." It gives you that same feeling when you rip open the wrapper and find something special there. If you don't find that something special you still have a fun new card game to play.
#33 - Oct. 25, 2006, 4:44 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Say what you will, but I still see it as an industry barometer testing the waters to see how far they can wade out. I fear that the future of MMO's will end up moving in this "alacarte" direction. We're already seeing it with XBOX Live and the trend will continue.

Frankly I can't blame them. Hundreds of people are making money selling gold that Blizzard can't get a piece of...I'd look at doing this if I was them. After all, at the end of the day, Blizzard is a business out to make money - and they should explore all options or they wouldn't be a very good business.

Or it could be that it's exciting that there are so many ways to share our gaming passions and develop things we think others will enjoy too? Every company wants to make money but some companies are lucky enough to get to do something they enjoy and can share with others while doing so. I know people tend to be cynical about these things but we are having a great time with this latest creation and have all spent our own money on it as well. (Buying cards that is. ;) )

I don't doubt I'll be collecting for awhile yet and I'm someone that has never played a TCG before. As I've said before, the gameplay is fun and the art is amazing.
#53 - Oct. 25, 2006, 5:41 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

In the post you are referring to, she stated she got the Turtle mount card and the Hearthstone card. The hearthstone card is a powerful card in the card game. It does not do anything for you in the WoW computer game.

-Mehg

This is correct. The Hearthstone card is JUST for the card game.
#54 - Oct. 25, 2006, 5:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Charlie inherited the chocolate factory as a consequence of his golden ticket! I'd have to say this is nothing like that @_@

Yes, but I bet I got the song in your head anyway.

"I've got a golden tick et.."