BC release - Key or Program Change?

#0 - Jan. 10, 2007, 7:50 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I will be out of town on business the date of the relase. I had a question I was wondering if any could answer. WIll the BC disc be something that loads and then assigns dark portal access to the account or to the pc it is loaded on. I would like to have my husband load it at home the day it realeasees and thus have access to it on my laptop out of state when I log on to the game that night. Thus my account will already have had the key assigned to it and will just run through the patch.

Or is it necessary to have the cd to load on to the pc itself that is playing because there is some programatical things that have to hapen.

This will help me determine if I have to locate a computer store in a small town in the middle of the night to get my BC up. :)
#2 - Jan. 10, 2007, 7:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Your key will upgrade the account itself. Anything you need to load up is going to be machine specific. So if for instance, you play on two machines (laptop and home pc) as long as they have the software loaded and you have the key enabled, you will be able to play your account on either machine.

BTW. You will need to load using the CD in order to have access to the Burning Crusade as well.

Here is a notice we posted up yesterday in a thread-

“It will be necessary to have a Burning Crusade CD and a Burning Crusade authentication key in order to play The Burning Crusade expansion. There is content on the Burning Crusade CD that will need to be installed that is not included in the patches we have recently released. Each account (in the event multiple are owned) will need their own copy of The Burning Crusade expansion to install the additional content, and be upgraded with the included authentication key.”

Does that help?
#14 - Jan. 10, 2007, 8:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If we run 2 accounts (and buy 2 expansions) we'll only have to install it once, right?

You can play both accounts on one machine without a problem. You will of course need to upgrade both accounts in order to access the Burning Crusade Expansion.

The method isn't any different than the original install of World of Warcraft. For every active account, you need a separate key. The same applies for the Burning Crusade. For each account you will need a separate key. The only thing that can remain the same is the load on your computer. As long as the game is installed properly you will have access to the game.

I hope that helps.
#21 - Jan. 10, 2007, 8:22 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
I have a question regarding this as well.

I bought WoW the day it came out and have moved twice since. Somewhere in one of the moves I lost all my WoW CDs, CD key, box, instructions, etc. I have basically since then been thanking God that my computer hasn't crashed or anything that would cause me to loose the WoW program because I have no way of reinstalling it.

Now when I buy TBC is it going to ask me to insert my WoW CD to prove I bought it? If so I'm screwed.

It's not going to ask you to insert your CD to prove you bought it because the proof is the CD key you already have attached to your account.

Q u o t e:
A slightly related question - my girlfriend won't be purchasing an expansion key until she has a level 58 character. Will she be able to log into her non-upgraded account (to access non-expansion content, obviously) from an upgraded client? Or will we need to have separate installs of the whole game client on each of our computers?

She'll be able to play just fine in the non-expansion content even with the expansion content loaded on your computer.
#23 - Jan. 10, 2007, 8:24 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Using the term 'load' is misleading. Load to me is closer to 'run' than 'install'. And having the client perform a CD-check each time the game is run would S U C K.

Loading to me = installing. I would say "CD Check" if that was needed.