About this "Mid-night opening"

#0 - Jan. 10, 2007, 3:56 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Does this mean we watch it open at midnight server time? And then we go get the game after? Or is this just a "We're going to call our game launching and being available for sale at mid-night the opening of the dark portal"?
#4 - Jan. 10, 2007, 4:03 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Does this mean we watch it open at midnight server time? And then we go get the game after? Or is this just a "We're going to call our game launching and being available for sale at mid-night the opening of the dark portal"?

The process will go something like this.

Purchase.
Install.
Upgrade (with your key to activate the expansion)
Play.

How does that sound to you?
#13 - Jan. 10, 2007, 4:08 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Step 5: Profit.

Right? Otherwise, I'm completely lost.

I have the misfortune of always being too distracted by PvP to profit in game. :( Thankfully questing in Outland proved to me that I could support myself in a manner I've grown accustomed.

Q u o t e:
Sorry, but I still feel lost. This really didn't answer if I would be able to watch the "opening" if I went to my local Gamestop at 12 PM PST. Or is the "opening", me opening my box?

If you mean the opening of the Dark Portal, that event is the one that is running right now. I am not aware of any specific thing actually occuring at midnight on the realms for release if that's what you mean other than the portal itself will be able to be gone through by those with the BC expansion.
#37 - Jan. 10, 2007, 4:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

in terms of tone, it sounds short, crass, and a little hostile. i think it is understood that you purchase, install, upgrade, and play. what you are ignoring here is the mythologizing of the event which is occuring in many players minds, you know, the people who are excited about the "event" of opening the dark portal.

in other words, players are wondering if there is some sort of actual event that will occur server time-wise, or if it is really just a mechanical process of the sort you described, with nothing actually occuring in-game at midnight beyond the fact that you can then install and play the thing you couldnt have technically acquired yet.

its a fair question that deserved more of a response than you gave.

I answered the question more fully in another post. My original post was by no means meant to sound hostile in anyway. As someone pointed out, I was merely pointing out the simplicity of what is going to happen.

I plan to see if we can put some Q&A together to answer people's questions a bit more specifically but no promises as of yet. We'll continue to answer as much as we can for you all.

*Edit- I am a CM not a GM. I do not have in-game powers. The problem with text is that tone is missing. I am by no means talking down to anyone. I'm just trying to inform and am in a good mood this morning. ;)
#70 - Jan. 10, 2007, 4:51 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

um, no. not really. i was just trying to point out that such matter of fact responses to something which is in itself fanciful (ie, role playing an "event") was hostile to the mythologizing of the "event" that was being displayed by the confusion over the supposed "opening at midnight". giving an obvious and out-of-game answer to a layered and in-game type of question seemed flippant and not ultimately very helpful. im asking the moderator to take a look at the bigger picture of the questions being asked. it seems you are asking me to take a look at the smaller picture, and im just suggesting to the moderator that they could answer these questions without so blankly nullifying the excitement which has built up over this imagination-based event.

im not trying to be hostile in turn, just trying to point out to the mod that the question was much broader than her answer and that her reduction was a bit harsh in the context of an online fantasy role playing game.

I didn't read it as a lore/event question so much as a 'when can I play' question. Thus why the confusion. The most prevalent question as of late has been about the 'events' of picking up a midnight copy thus why I answered the way I did. I'm not a moderator btw. ;) While I do moderate from time to time, I leave most of the moderation to those that can do a much better job than I.
#82 - Jan. 10, 2007, 5:12 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

you'll have to forgive me, i play on a role play server. and, not having to read countless questions regarding the release of TBC, i read the questions as more of a confusion over what actually occured at midnight. it looked to me like you had some starry-eyed WoW fans asking about the recent buildup over a midnight event and wondering if something happened at midnight beyond merely installing the expansion, and with that point of view your response seemed glib and deflating. but i can certainly see how it looked to you as well. i guess im sensitive to the harsh realities of pushing buttons and installation procedures compared to the immersion in lore and the imagination type stuff.

sorry if i seemed harsh, i had just gotten done reading the shaman forums. ;)

No worries at all. Text isn't always the most flexible thing when it comes to inflection. There are always words within words. ;)
#100 - Jan. 10, 2007, 5:58 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Neth,

Will the original install discs be required? I recently loaned my discs to a friend for the 10 day trial/buddy pass and I have not got them back yet. Just wanted to know if I need to get them back before next Tuesday or not.

Thanks!

You shouldn't need your original install discs unless you are extremely unlucky and your computer goes on the fritz for some reason.
#131 - Jan. 10, 2007, 9:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

So, let's say some unscrupulous character who works in a Gamestop or EB ninjas a copy before the 16th. Is it possible, right now, for them to install the game, upgrade, and play before Tuesday?

No, I'm not talking about myself, I don't work in a video games store. I'm just curious.

No. No one will be able to access the new content until the release date.
#137 - Jan. 10, 2007, 10:25 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I don't know how you CM's do it man.

Swiss Army Knife, bubblegum and the bubblegum wrapper MacGuyver style.
#142 - Jan. 10, 2007, 10:35 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
SO my question blue is this.

I buy the expansion at midnight CST. Install, activate, all that jazz. Will the portal not let me through until midnight PST?

This too soon shall be revealed.

Ok... so I wanted to be dramatic. Once you buy, install and upgrade you will be able to play no matter what time zone you are in since you will not be able to purchase the expansion until midnight in that region.
#193 - Jan. 11, 2007, 4:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Since Nethaera seems to be keeping an eye on this thread...

...Is there any word about server maintenance for launch-week? Will maintenance be performed on Monday so that there is unobstructed access to TBC?

We'll be posting up a FAQ hopefully sometime this morning/today with a lot of these questions answered for you.