How To Use an HoT

#0 - Jan. 18, 2007, 4:06 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Since Druid is the least played class in the game, and the only other class with an HoT (Priest) usually relies on flash heals, mega heals and bubbles to sustain itself, I guess the point isn't clear. An HoT isn't intended to be used in a "ZOMG IM DYING WTF!" moment. You cast it before you get to that point, and it acts as damage negation, much the way most good healers will load up a tank with HoTs not to heal taken damage but to preemptively negate incoming damage.

So basically, you hit it as soon as you realize that it's going to be a close fight, or as soon as you've just pulled more than you intended to. If at all possible, you hit it right before the target mob even gets there, so you don't even have to deal with interrupts.

More to the point, Draenei get a free healing spell regardless of their class. Even if it's only situational or actually requires tactics and battle awareness. . . it's a free heal, separate from their potion timer, separate from their bandage timer, separate from their healthstone timer. I think part of the disappointment is that three of the six Draenei classes already get heals, in Paladin, Shaman and Priest, so the benefit doesn't seem as significant. But to say it's useless in its current form is to overlook its relative value compared to other racials (and not just Blood Elf racials) as well as to admit that you really can't think more than three seconds ahead in combat.
#33 - Jan. 18, 2007, 4:47 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Did you know that HoTs are stackable now? One HoT from each person up to max buffs on that person. That's a lot of healing stacked up.
#69 - Jan. 18, 2007, 5:42 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just as an fyi, I've been removing posts that go into grammar discussion. Please don't derail the thread.

Thank you.