Halaa, the new Alliance city!

#0 - Sept. 24, 2006, 7:39 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Basically, on at least a fair number of servers (note, I have not done a complete census, so if anyone wants to correct me on this, feel free), World-Objective PvP, well.... sucks. This is pretty much entirely attributed to one simple thing:

Faction imbalance. This isn't about Shaman's vs. Palladins. It is about Alliance (usually) vastly outnumbering Horde. Skill isn't enough of a factor when you're fighting a party of raid-geared Alliance on your own just because you wanted to cap a tower for 4 seconds to do the pathetic quest...

Ever been to EPL on Cenarius? Towers tend to be all blue, with little, tiny spurts of red thrown in every once in a while. The highest number of Horde controlled Towers I have EVER seen in there is 2. And that didn't last long.

In Silithus, the situation is similar, you enter the zone and the number of captured Silithyst?

Usually between 2-20 for Horde, and often over 100 for Alliance.

The situation will be worse with Halaa, a city that will provide supplies, a central base of operations, and from my understanding access to unique or difficult to obtain items/recipes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad some of this has taken the heat off of Crossroads but...

I don't wanna have to get a group/raid together at 1am just to have access to the damn city.

When population imbalance happens, the fact is that world PvP has no real limits on the number of participants, and, as such, whomever has the most people on wins.
#15 - Sept. 24, 2006, 8:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
World PvP is not fair.
#80 - Sept. 24, 2006, 10:15 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Thank you, Captain Obvious. We already know that.

Now, what I want to know is what will be done to remedy this.

Remedy the variables that can happen in a free form fight? Asking such a thing is asking for the fundamental purpose of outdoor PvP to be removed. Outdoor PvP is fun because of what it is, a struggle against odds, and is a challenge because of those unknown or changing variables. The purpose of outdoor PvP is to bring battle into the world, and making that 'fair' in any aspect would be deterring from the efforts of each side. It may be difficult, it may be an uphill battle, it may be a walk in the park, but turning the tides and taking the battle back, that is the challenge, and that is the reward.

Outdoor PvP is not going to appeal to everyone. We will have the battlegrounds and arenas available for those wishing to participate in a controlled environment for some excellent rewards.
#110 - Sept. 24, 2006, 11:02 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
The very nature of Halaa is such that faction imbalances PREVENT my ability to quest or obtain items. This is why we have Civilian DK's, remember? So that an entire town could not be locked down, thereby preventing people from questing and advancing their character.

It's additional content for mid-level characters, and it does not provide anything necessary to the advancement of a character. The rewards it offers would likely be outpaced through someone's normal process of leveling.

I think the idea of a town that is consistently held by one faction, and the mount of a massive invasion to take it back is exciting. To be involved in that victory would be extremely rewarding for me.
#122 - Sept. 24, 2006, 11:21 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Drysc, I want to like you.

Dammit, you're making it hard.

Think ahead. One faction is consistantly being held by one faction, and a massive invasion is mounted to take it back. But hey, it fails. Again. because they have twice as many people.

And lets say y ou do win. Hey, guess what? They take it back. Because they have twice as many people.

Let's say we agree to disagree until the expansion is released and there is something to actually play. I can't gain anything from your concerns on unreleased content beyond the idea of the concern, and I can't persuade you to understand something different as you have already imagined the outcome and set it in stone. So, I'm going to leave you to yourselves on this one.