Is WoW mostly a childrens game?

#0 - Sept. 7, 2006, 5:49 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Just asking, not trying to start a flame war. From my experince on my server it seems most players are 10-15yrs. I, myself am 35. Reason I'm even bringing this up is that it seems alot lately people have left groups cause "my mom needs me/wants to me get off the PC" type thing. My friends are my age and we have had the same experience in WoW. They are ready to give it up and I am too. Maybe I'm too old to be playing games..but the last few nights groups have been ruined by this sorta thing..

Dekeon
#3 - Sept. 7, 2006, 5:53 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I haven't found this to be so. I've found that there is a vast range of ages of people that play. There does seem to be a certain level of family friendliness that people are being drawn to with World of Warcraft however.

You are never too old to play games and I intend to be playing until they pry the keyboard/controller/VR Goggles off my cold dead body.
#23 - Sept. 7, 2006, 6:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Whereas our grandparents had the Golden Girls, Matlock and Jeopardy, I think our generation will have MMOs, FPSs and RTSs.

I agree. We'll wind up in a "Gaming" Retirement community with community room with all the latest games and some older systems too for those that want to be nostalgic and end up arguing over what console was the best and about the names and purposes of some games. "No no no! You didn't get the bablefish until AFTER you put the towel under the crack and BEFORE the Vogons shuttled you out the door into space."
#30 - Sept. 7, 2006, 6:07 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
When I was growing up it was "don't trust anyone over 30" :D

I was just thinking of Logan's Run yesterday after reading a rather poignant line in Snow Crash about being 30 and considered 'old' in the tech world. Although they say that 50 is the new 40, 40 is the new 30 and 30 is the new 20. I figure as long as they keep carding me I'm A-Ok. ;)
#36 - Sept. 7, 2006, 6:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
They aren't carding you anymore, they just want you to feel good.

:( So cruel!

(Yes, I still need to pick up Cryptonomicon too. The first Neal Stephenson I read was The Diamond Age.)
#42 - Sept. 7, 2006, 6:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
I used to flip the score on Pitfall and Asteroids. Pong was always fun as was combat. The other one you brought up I think was Defender where you had to pick up the people while defending yourself in your spaceship. Zaxxon (sp?) was better though. NOT that I know these games *cough* I err.. started on Nintendo... yeah that's it.. N64... *cough*

You aren't old until you reach 101 like my great grandmother did or you stop gaming whichever comes first. Then I'll buy into 'old'.
#56 - Sept. 7, 2006, 6:32 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Snow Crash was a good read, but I tend towards more "traditional" science fiction like Heinlein and Arthur C. Clarke. Orson Scott Card is a great "thinking man's" author. Among more modern authors, I'm a big fan of Tad Williams and his Otherland series.

Have them all, read them all, Heinlein will always be my favorite of all time and Orson Scott Card is a "thinking person's" author. ;) (It's not always about men! )

Back to the topic though, most of the people that I know are later teens to mid to upper 30s that I have played with or play with. Most also are married or in relationships and have kids or are planning for a family.

I also disagree that the "cartoony" graphics were designed to lure in kids. I think it was more toward keeping true to the very design of the RTS series and it also distinguishes itself from the hyper-realistic trend of graphics in other games as of late. While I appreciate that sort of realism and the look of it, I also appreciate the freshness of World of Warcraft graphics. It's easy and fun on the eyes.
#59 - Sept. 7, 2006, 6:36 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

But you made me think...Zelazny, he's the man. Give me a game based on his work :)

I believe there is a pen and paper based on it. ;) Zelazny is hard to find though anymore.