Ten Ways to Post Persuasively

#0 - Aug. 30, 2006, 6:51 a.m.
Blizzard Post
So you think an upcoming change from Blizzard is a mistake. Or you believe that your talent build is underrated. Well, that's what the forums are for. But if your readers can't really understand the thrust of your argument, or are put offside by your remarks, then you've lost their ear.

Your window of opportunity is small. Make the most of it.

1. Write Clear English. I'm not trying to be a grammar nut, but you won't persuade someone who can't easily figure out what you're saying.

2. Be Concise. I'm not saying you should cater to the TLDR crowd. But your message will be clearer if you get straight to the point.

3. Say Something New. If you just say something that's been said a million times before, then most people will just stop reading. Leaving only the ones who will get a huge kick out of flaming you.

4. Be Concrete. For example, don't just state that you'll be gimped by a change. Spell out exactly how, in terms of facility lost in particular situations. This is information that can be taken back to the developers.

5. Don't Make Threats. Posts like "I'm going to quit," or "I'm rerolling" don't cut the mustard. Arguments based on game mechanics or balance may persuade. Blackmail won't win anyone's sympathy, and certainly won't get any further than the CMs.

6. Avoid Memes. Saying stuff like "QQ" and "L2P" may feel satisfying, but people just skim past those messages.

7. Avoid Flames. I know it's sometimes sorely tempting. But throwing around terms like "retarded" and "idiot" won't help your cause.

8. Stay Focused. Avoid writing a succession of unrelated sentences. Give your post focus and direction. Try to lead your reader naturally to the point you want to make.

9. Don't Overstate. An overblown statement like "this change will destroy our class" may lower your credibility in the eyes of your readers. You don't have to tiptoe around the topic, but don't get carried away either.

10. Work on Your Writing. Writing is a learned skill. Practice it. Get a book on the topic, such as The Elements of Style. I promise you won't regret it. Good writing is an invaluable life skill.

These forums contain a lot of different opinions. I post this list in the hope that just a handful of posts start to express those ideas a little more thoughtfully. These forums, and perhaps even the game, would be a lot better for it.

Thanks for reading.
#4 - Aug. 30, 2006, 7:05 a.m.
Blizzard Post
I would sticky this if I could. Thank you Tova.