So, now what happens to...

#0 - Feb. 11, 2007, 10:26 a.m.
Blizzard Post
all those formerly Lvl 60 raid instances? Are they now merely 5 man's for higher level players? Will anyone try to run them as 40 mans?
#3 - Feb. 11, 2007, 10:40 a.m.
Blizzard Post
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=75381035&sid=1
#11 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:06 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
God, don't get me going on the no AH in shattrath. No, don't do it. I'm not even going to make a sarcastic comment on what great design forcing people to take trips back and forth between the outlands and azeroth is so that level 20 beggers can feel as though there are in fact high level players on the server to try to get money from.

Lorewise, there's no significant economy to speak of in a shattered planet ruled by demons. You expect Illidan or Magtheridon to set up a drive-thru for you? It's a refugee camp, not a strip mall.
#16 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:12 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Lorewise, boars drop armor and weapons.

Amirite?

Game mechanic-wise, boars drop armor and weapons.

Game mechanic-wise, the old world is still viable because of its amenities.
#27 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:20 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

And I quote, the last line of my post you partially quoted, "There are banks in Shattrath, I fail to see why they couldn't set up a small trading post.".

So the question becomes, not if the old world is "viable", but why bother in such an unsignificant way?

Man, and I didn't even want to get sucked into a conversation about it. I'm well aware it's not going to change, but why not just say "it's so lower levels and those who didn't buy TBC don't feel totally left behind", and then we can just disagree on whether or not that really matters.

Because Azeroth is still necessary from a game design perspective. Banks are populated in more places than auction houses because it drives traffic.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
#30 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:25 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I guess. Seems like you're not, or don't want, to get into specifics, so we're just going to talk in circles.

No big deal, anyway.

I gave you pretty fair specifics. If you want, I'll give more...
#32 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:27 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

How inconvenient is it to right click a portal to get an ah?

And that is another specific.
#40 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:38 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

It wasn't a knock, I'm just saying.

I don't see the direct correlation between having an AH in Shattrath and having Azeroth be necessary.

If what you're saying is that the AH specifically drives high level traffic through Azeroth, then I understand but disagree that it's worthwhile.

If that's not what you're saying, then I guess I'm lost.

A good chunk of the population will deal with the auction houses on a fairly regular basis. Now, they can't do it on bank alts alone, because the bank alts can't farm material in Outland. The individual player has to ship the material over into the AH. This generates a couple of good effects. Lower level folks on Azeroth have access to higher-level goods and the population is spread out over multiple servers. Having a large mass of alts and players squatting in Shattrath makes server go boom. Keep the population fluctuating between servers and you get better realm stability. As much as this is a fantasy game, there needs to be core considerations where game design assists technology to keep the game from high latency or dropping you from the realm. Dig?
#47 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:47 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
If technical problems are the main consideration, okay.

I was thinking more along the lines of game philosophy, such as bringing people back to Azeroth, which I think would be pretty lame as I've stated.

I'm no expert when it comes to technical problems, however, so I won't debate that.

It's both. You can think it lame or not, but it is a singular solution that deals with multiple issues. Bringing people back to Azeroth is needed for many reasons.
#49 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:48 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
explain the AH in area 52 then...

...can i say I PWNT TSERIC now?

and armor dropping off of bears...coming from the same company that a swarm of locust drops polearms...(d2)

how about now?

okay going back to the AH in shat thing- if all the AHs can you still run with the line that AH are placed where there is a stable area...and were excluding area 52 for tserics sake, how do you explain all the AH being connected?

you cant say AH can only be instable areas when the AH all over the world are connected...and the armies at shattrah- that seems pretty stable not to mention the millions of horde and alliance

i think i can say it now

Ummm...cross-faction auction houses don't get nearly as much traffic as faction AH's. Gadgetzan and Everlook are not hubs of player traffic. A for effort, though.
#58 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:57 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
explain how traffic merrets an AH

if high = AH then shattrah is more busy than Darn so why not?

low? that doesnt make sense

shattrah at the very least have a cross faction sense it harbors both factions and is very high traffic will all of the factions there scryers low town aldor etc and all of the trainers

i said it twice

side note: if you did put a AH there would have to be 2 just like there are battlemasters but im sure thats not hard

edit: shattrah is busyier than SW possibly and definalty more than darn, i assume its same for horde and undercity/TB

You're misunderstanding. Area 52 is a cross-faction AH in a remote location. Ironforge and Orgrimmar alike are single faction on two different servers. If we were to put both populations of those servers into a single AH in Shattrath, you would never be able to load your search for trade goods. A solid population from Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms on to one plot would make a giant Shattrath City.
#60 - Feb. 11, 2007, 11:59 a.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
lvl 7 alt that was deleted a month ago > tseric

boo-ya

i pwnt tseric

is he in my account sharding my purplez now?

No, you haven't. You simply don't know what you're talking about. Again, A for effort. F for execution on the second round.
#68 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:04 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Im right then are'nt I? After the next expac moves people back into Azeroth you will put an AH in Shattrah. I figured you would. People will probably still hearth to Shatt to make use of those handy portals. Shattrah will become the AH/Portal city or something while everyone is off actually fighting in the new Azeroth zones.

No. What we'd likely do is make another expansion, with new land.
#78 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:09 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
since your here,

are warriors getting buffed? say yes i dont need specifics just hope

You need to stop clicking reply.
#80 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:10 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Blues aren't known to respond frivolously. Why respond to someone whose obviously just trying to get a rise out of you? I've always admired the unshakeable impassiveness of the blue posters. Not that they're impassive in real LIFE...Just what they let filter to the board. :)

You've never seen me in action, then...I'm Gonzo.
#84 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:13 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Charming if unrelated story. Since I only guessed once about a yes or no question an was wrong. Seemed logical to me to make Outland worth visiting again after the next big thing is opened up.

Why wouldn't it be? That's the same as saying 'delete UBRS cause I don't go there anymore!!!!'
#90 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:16 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Although I do wonder if it would really be a problem if it was just kept 58+. I really can't comment much on that though.

Because it's arbitrary. What good is a bank alt in Shattrath going to do if there is no AH?
#92 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:17 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Wut is context?

BABY DON'T QUOTE ME
DON'T QUOTE ME
NO MORE
#97 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:20 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:
Gonzo from the muppet show? He was my favorite!

That is not what I'm talking about, but I won't hold it against you. ;)
#105 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:23 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

I thought it was pretty clear that I meant if there was an AH in Shattrath, would keeping it 58+ solve the technical difficulties you described earlier?

It also sort of cheapens the Dark Portal. It's supposed to be this epic thing you go through once you gain enough power, and it gives you access to a huge war-ridden world.

Having nekkid level 1 gnomes running around is kinda blah.

I thought it was pretty clear that my point was, what is the point of having level-1s around Outland? Yeah, they may show up for a bit, but what are they really going to do? Farm Terrokar? Let them be nekkid gnomes in a refugee camp if they wanna. Doesn't really hurt much.
#110 - Feb. 11, 2007, 12:26 p.m.
Blizzard Post
Q u o t e:

Tseric I realize this, as it was a joke...but I won't hold that against you either.

Considering that, I won't blast you out of bed with a fire hose. ;D